PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get rid of knock sensors - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get rid of knock sensors - yes or no?

The motor is 100% race now with a careful and specific tune...no more liscence plate lol. Seriously delete the knock sensors finally or just de-sensitize them and keep them in EFIlive now?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

That depends on how you like burnt pistons. For my road racing setup, I could not live without knock detection. Tell us more about your engine and you will get more responses. I like to scan each 25 minute run and look for knock to see if I have enough race fuel in there. Without sensors, it's just going to bang away until something burns.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, if it is tuned right what do you have to worry about. If it is not...might save your ***.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

keep the knock sensors... it's a safety (you can have a great tune... but what if there's a physical problem... at least the knock sensors may detect the problem early and save your engine)
Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. I'm glad to hear your answers. I agree. I would say for a huge % of people that will read this will need to keep their KS in tact. I'm lucky enough to own part of a peformance shop and a very small self and locally sponsored race team. My tuning is done partially on a dyno and fine tuned/tweaked on the track. We have a 408 forged bottom built by LME for up to a 500 shot of Nitrous. ET Performance heads, Comp Bee-Hive BB Springs, big old custom ground Cam by Allan at Futral, J2K Jessel Rockers, Fast 90/Nick Williams 90mm TB, 42 lb Racetronix Injectors. Dual Walboro fuel pumps and run Sunoco 110 Unleaded which my shop sells. Of course the N20 - thats usually 2 stage wet 150/250. That's the basic motor...should be pretty fast in the 1/4 mile. I'll add that I have EFILive COS5 running it with AFR constantly reported and logged and downloaded after EVERY pass at the track. By removing the KS circuit, I am leaving myself open for catastrophic failure that could be avoided. At the same time, by not using it, i will not have to deal with KR. We will remove it on this motor. At least it's been well thought out.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's no reason for KR sensors if it's tuned right. My personal Vette had a stock motor with 14lbs of boost and it's on year 3 with no sensors and the same un opened motor.

Most cars don't even have knock sensors and LS1 owners think they have to be there no matter what. Yes,they can save a motor and they have many times from bad tuning.

Our race only cars have them deleted due to the harsh drivetrains that push false noise from the chassis.