PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A TC ,Torque management , $500???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A TC ,Torque management , $500???

OK you see what i have in my sig.....i'm about to purchase a vig 3600 converter...but i'm hearing that you have to have special tuning for things like torque management removal....is this true for a 99 Trans Am
Old 05-07-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: A TC, A HPP3, Torque management , and a BIG ?????

i guess you just wanna know if you will have TM probs? Every car is different. Usually the 01-02's have a big problem with it. It retards timing in the shifts to help save the trans. I have seen where my timing drops to -4.5 on the shifts in a few runs. I have the vig3600 also... you may or maynot have a prob. If the car feels like she falls on her face during a shift its TM
Old 05-07-2003, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't have any tunning done to my car and have never had any problems, and my car is a 2001
Old 05-07-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

OK well for my sake i hope i dont either.... funny i was about to PM you too lynda to ask you if you have had different tuning
Old 05-08-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

OK i called MTI today and Chris told me that theres a possablity that i will need programming due to the torque management and gear shifts.....and that it costs 500 dollars (i passed out), I will barely have enough money to get my converter...now i have to pay 500 bucks to get it tuned right. He also said no hand held programmers can do it....is there any other way please help, i will still buy the converter lynda i would just like it to work at full potential (tuned)
Old 05-08-2003, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Add another $50 to it and do it yourself with Edit. Then tune for your next mod and your next....
Old 05-08-2003, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Add 50 to what? and how do you get Edit and what do you need to use edit for my car.?
Old 05-08-2003, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I've had 2 converters in my car (3200 & 3600) and have not had tunning with either of them. One day in the future I was planning on getting tunning, but not because I really needed it, just because I wanted it. I mean the car has done at least 2 11.7 passes with good 60' and many other high 11 sec passes, and that is just with bolt-ons. There are people out there with tunning that can't even run that well. There's always a "may" in stuff...you "may" need tunning, and then someone will say you "may" want a shift kit, it just depends on what you want and how your car responds to certain mods. Tunning will help the car itself (converter or no converter) perform to it's full potenial, and that is one of the reasons I was eventually going to do it myself, but I just can't see forking out $500 for it when the car was doing so well. Plus a company will always try to sell you something too, so keep that in mind. Just keep in touch with me and let me know when you are ready. Any time after May 18th I will be ready to take that converter out of the car
Old 05-08-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

yea a little after may 18th and i'll be ready to go.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

can somebody help me figure out what tq management is and why i need to be concerned with it in the future if i plan on swapping my tc
Old 05-09-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

From what was explained to me torque management is like a shift timer...its the timing before, during, and after the shift. I have been told that if this is not removed that there is a possibilty that the car could have a "lagg" while shifting at WOT due to the timing difference with your new converter and torque management. Hope this helps and i hope i got it some what right.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

it all depends on your car and how it responds to the converter...just like with many other mods out there some cars react different to different things...I haven't had any problems getting off the line and down the track with my 3600.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I would not let concerns about TM effect my decision about getting a good TC. Even w/TM, with the right TC, you'll be ahead of the game. You can't anticipate how your car will react, entirely. I was able to work around most of my shift issues w/HPP3; this was before LS1Edit came out, and it still works fine for me. It may not work for you, however, you'll still have better performance w/the right TC.
TM at it's simplest is what the computer does during shifts to save wear&tear on an A4. At the simplest, it will pull timing during shifts. At the extreme, it can also selectively pull fuel (as measured by injecter pulse width on Autotap or any such monitor).
Bottom line is, a good converter is better than stock.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

hey 99PTA , you have mail. i can help you out.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd recommend getting LS1edit (the $550 quote mentioned above), and editing yourself. As idicated before, every car responds differently...my exhaust would "pop" a little in between shifts under medium and light throttle with TM on. This might have been a reaction to the fact that I had a shift kit installed, and my shift time reduced to .2s. WOT throttle it would break your neck.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but torque management shouldn't come on at WOT. It's only used to smooth out shifts under normal driving. Take a few autotap runs and find out for sure...I'm just to lazy to do it...plus I disabled TM.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Well when i talked to the people at MTI they said it would be most noticeable at WOT then normal driving.....they said the car would drive normally but if you punch it off the roll is when the torque management came into play and caused the .2 shift timing

After i purchase this TC i will be flat broke and have no money to get any tuning what so ever.(i'm 18 and live at home, the TC is being bought with Graduation money) But how easy is it for someone who has never dealed with a program such as LS1 edit...i mean i really dont want to mess my car by programming wrong.....i dont really care right now to totally tune my car i just want to remove the Torque management ...is there any way just to do that.????
Old 05-09-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but torque management shouldn't come on at WOT. It's only used to smooth out shifts under normal driving. Take a few autotap runs and find out for sure...I'm just to lazy to do it...plus I disabled TM.
I think you are right on this. I just recently installed a 3200 Vig in my car and I'm having TM problems. The car feels like it's falling on it's face when I give it a little punch from the stop light. When I pull off easy and cruise ,the car does fine. At WOT, the car does great !! I also installed my Diablo Programmer in my car this morning and it's still doing the same thing. I'm thinking it could be the converter. Reason why , To many cars out here have these converters in them (01 & 02 cars) and never had any problems. I'm thinking about buying a upgrading to a 3600 or buy YANK or something else. Maybe I'm wrong ....I don't know. I know I'm tired of fighting this thing
Old 05-09-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know..... i just hope that when i get converter installed i dont have problems with mine....
Old 05-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Mac 2002 SS. How long have you had the Diablo? Are you sure you installed the basic tune correctly?

In your post you state "The car feels like it's falling on it's face when I give it a little punch from the stop light. I also installed my Diablo Programmer in my car this morning and it's still doing the same thing." You also mentioned that you thought it could be your converter.

What I DO know is that on my 03 Sierra BEFORE the Diablo jabbing the gas at a dead stop would have the truck fall flat on its face. NOW after installing, tuning, and loading the Diablo I can jab the gas from a stop, the truck barks its rear tires, the posi locks and off I go! I LOVE the diablo and everything its done to "get rid of" torque management.

Anyway maybe it is your TC or you have some Diablo tuning problem.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I dont know..... i just hope that when i get converter installed i dont have problems with mine....
If you rconcerned with the money aspect and not sure about buying Edit. Get with PCMforless.com They will tune your PCM for 180 dollars specifically for your needs. CK Em out. At least till you can afford Edit.