PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

p0172, p0175, somebody help a girl diagnose the problem...purty PLEASE :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007 | 04:32 PM
Teching In

Default p0172, p0175, somebody help a girl diagnose the problem...purty PLEASE :)

see, i'm hoping if i ask nicely, i'll get some responses.

so, yeah, she's throwin' codes. she's pretty much stock. cleaned the MAF, didn't really help much.

i'm thinkin' it's one of three things: MAF, fuel injectors or fuel pressure regulator. (ok, i didn't think that...i read it...trivial detail, really)

but here's the thing, how the hell do i figure out which it is w/out spending $300 a part on something i may not even need? i'm actually kinda hoping it's the MAF, but i wish i could test it to see if it's bad.

i picked up a fuel pressure tester kit & we're gonna use that tonight, but that's not really gonna tell me exactly what's going on, ya know?

is there some way to test those 3 components (independently, of course)? i'd love to hook up a good MAF to my car & see how that effects it, but i'm the only LT1er i know.

help a girl out, fellas!
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Any other codes? Is it rich enough that it's smoking out the exhaust? What year is the car?
Old 06-27-2007 | 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

You can ohm out the injectors one at a time on bank 1 to check for one with a noticable variance. Pull the plugs off and check resistance across the 2 terminals on the injector. Resistence should be 11.8-12.6 ohms. Fuel pressure drop off can tell you if one is leaking off.

Pull the vacuum line off the regulator and check for fuel in the line. If there is fuel in the line the reg is bad. Start it and pull the line this time with it running and watch the pressure guage. It should rise with line off and drop around 4-7lbs when put back on. Pressure should decrease as vacuum increases.

As for the MAF. Drawing a blank right now. Sorry. Wasn't thinking. Disconnect the MAF. If runnability improves, the MAF is bad.

Last edited by Violatorno1; 06-27-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2007 | 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

oh yeah. Make sure the vacuum line to the regulator isn't pinched or broken.
Old 06-28-2007 | 01:14 PM
Teching In

the car's a '97. i'm not gettin' any other relevant codes & i don't think it's rich enough to be smokin' just yet. although, i wonder if it's relevant to point out that EVERY once in a while, she starts right up. oh yeah, did i mention i'm havin' to pump the gas just about every time i want it to start? lol

awesome test tips, we're gonna run through those today & then i'll post the results.
Old 06-28-2007 | 04:44 PM
Teching In

alrighty, so here's what we know now...

injectors ohmd out to 12 & all of 'em were the same. 38-40psi fuel pressure, no problem. all the vacuum lines seemed to be ok initially, BUT there was 1 off the regulator in the back that had some gasoline in it, so that's making the regulator suspect.

also, disconnected the MAF & it didn't start any better than w/it connected (which would make sense if its a bad regulator), but here's something troubling...regarding the air intake elbow from the MAF to the throttle body, the long "baffle" hanging off it had quite a bit of gas in it!! what the hell is that about?

Quick Reply: p0172, p0175, somebody help a girl diagnose the problem...purty PLEASE :)