Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Engine Temp->Fan Settings, etc.

In an old thread in this section, I find this info:

Stock Thermo:
Fan First Stage On/Off: 229/222
Fan Second Stage On/Off: 237/230

Those temps look high to me. There was quite a bit of discussion in that thread about best temps etc.

But I'm left with this question: What temperature is considered HIGH, or another way to put it, dangerous to the engine? In my old 350, I started sweating when it got over 210.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gm wouldnt do that if they thought it would damage a motor. They wouldnt want to have warrenty repairs..

Those temps are fine. They are only mainly that high while idleing and low vehicle speeds. Once the vehicle starts moving, then the airflow increases dramatically and the fans no longer are turned on due to more cfms being made via the front of the car. At which point, the vehicle will hover close to the stock thermostat setting of 194.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. Actually I wasn't questioning those temps. I just want to know how high it can get should I have trouble before I decide it's time to pull off the road.

And, by the way, since posting this, I received a reply on that topic from you (or some of your staff) in reply to an email I sent you asking what temp you had the fan settings in the PCM you programmed for me, stating that overheating is around 260.

This all being said, I'm interested in feedback from someone about what pressure of a radiator cap I should use.

Thanks!

[edit]

by the way, I find myself in parades, and rod runs that I end up at near idle speeds for a time. So overheating has been a problem for me in the past. That is why I want to be sure I know what to expect from the engine, fan, temperatures, etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything over the mid-230's is where I would start getting a little worried. Even at idle, it shouldn't get higher than that.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12 to 15lb cap should be fine.