PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

hit 120 MPH and car died

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003 | 09:23 AM
Teching In

Default hit 120 MPH and car died

Not sure where to post this (my first post and all), but I figure you guys would know. I've had my 99 Z28 for about a month and I finaly taxed it a little. When I got up to 120 MPH the damn thing scared the s**t out of me. It just died, not stalled, but went to idle. If this is some kind of interlock or cut-off that's crap and IMO dangerous! Don't need any spooks going that kind of speed. Anyway, I want to go faster, what do I do? Any help is appreciated.

C
Old 05-15-2003 | 09:57 AM
Gev
TECH Addict

Default Re: hit 120 MPH and car died

You most likely hit the top speed limiter. Are your tires Z-Rated? If not, then I don't recommend going any faster than that.

Once you get Z-Rated tires, you can either use LS1Edit, the Predator, or Hypertech to get rid of the top speed limiter.
Old 05-15-2003 | 10:10 AM
Teching In

I have Z rated tires and some suspension mods to keep me on the ground. I'm new to the era of cars who's computers do more driving than its' owner. Could you explain or give a link for more detail about the fix.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2003 | 10:27 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

The computer (PCM) in these cars limits your speed based on the type of tires that were on the car from the factory. This speed limiter number is stored at a memory location in the PCM's flash ram. You can reprogram the number with your laptop computer by pluging into the diagnostics port under the dash pannel, but you need LS1edit software running on the laptop. A cheaper way to reprogram it is with a Predator or Hypertech box; they work without a laptop but are less useful for doing other things like fuel mixture and ignition timing.