PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulate Speed Of Ws6 For My Son

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

This is more of a PCM tuning thread, moving now.

My 2 cents... That's a lot of power for a new driver. Limiting the speed limiter is a good idea, could even detune the car a little. I drove crazy for my first year of driving.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
This is more of a PCM tuning thread, moving now.

My 2 cents... That's a lot of power for a new driver. Limiting the speed limiter is a good idea, could even detune the car a little. I drove crazy for my first year of driving.
Bet you still do. I still do...once in a while.

"Still crazy after all these years."--Paul Simon
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC_DUDE
A lot of very good discussion going on here. I think a lot depends on the kid. Using myself as an example, my first car was a 1963 Pontiac Catalina with a modded 389 (not the stock Cat engine, this one had a 4-bbl Carter carb about the diameter of a saucer). It scared my dad the first time he drove it. Nonetheless my folks felt that I could be trusted with the car, as I was the nerdy geek type (plastic rim glasses, pocket protector, the works) who would not do anything stupid in it. In fact our insurance salesman told my folks once that he was getting irritated over a car in front of him poking along, and then saw it was me. Contrast that with a classmate I rode with (once!) who had a Dodge Monaco and went 70 MPH in a 25 MPH residential area. The key is that HHornet87, who knows his son far better than any of us, apparently feels his son cannot be trusted with the WS6, and so he has to cripple it somehow. My answer is in that case his son should not even have such a car. With power comes responsibility.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I turned 16... I had a 1975 Camaro that was about as fast as a stock LS1 A4. I was then and still am a very aggressive driver. My mother secretly had a mechanic leaves one spark plug wire disconnected (that went along with my 16th b-day tune up). The car was still fast running on 7 cylinders, but it wasn't long until I figured that one out.
That being only about 7 years ago... I don't think that any computer tuning would have stopped me from racing. I think I probably would have picked up a junk yard pcm and swaped em if anyone had tried to tune me out of it.
You should probably get another ride for your son, if you can't trust him. Or if you think there's a glimmer of hope, try the driving school, or just teaching him how to be responsible with the car.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

i'll agree with most other people on here a ws6 is alot of car for a 16 year old I'm fixing to be 20 and have had my mine ws6 for about 2 to 3 months and if u don't respecct the car's power you will get in trouble even with a 80mph limiter i started of in a v6 dodge truck then v6 firebird then my parents felt i was responsible enough to handle a ws6 and starting out small was the best thing they ever did because there is no way i could have handle the car i have now when i was 16 and i was a pretty good driver and when u have to pay for your car you tend to be more careful but anyway thats my .02 take it how u want it
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"Learn to walk first before you run..."
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
I would turn the rev-limiter down to about 4000. and make CAGS maditory for any speed in 1st gear. Itll keep him from racing, thats for sure.
Wow thats harsh. No 1st-2nd shifts would kill me. I would rather have an auto.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
When I turned 16... I had a 1975 Camaro that was about as fast as a stock LS1 A4. I was then and still am a very aggressive driver. My mother secretly had a mechanic leaves one spark plug wire disconnected (that went along with my 16th b-day tune up). The car was still fast running on 7 cylinders, but it wasn't long until I figured that one out.
That being only about 7 years ago... I don't think that any computer tuning would have stopped me from racing. I think I probably would have picked up a junk yard pcm and swaped em if anyone had tried to tune me out of it.
You should probably get another ride for your son, if you can't trust him. Or if you think there's a glimmer of hope, try the driving school, or just teaching him how to be responsible with the car.

He may have a chance of blocking him that way. It is hard to figure out the learning sequence. You can't just stick a random PCM in there and fire it up.

Unless the dealer set it up. In that case, the title wouldn't be in his name and the dealer shouldn't do it. They demanded to see my current reg and driver's license just to get a passenger door key when I went to an unfamilar dealership and they knew I pulled up in the car. There is still that chance though.

I think it is possible to pull ALOT of timing in the high load cells so the car just runs like crap @ WOT. That would be discouraging combined with a 4K limiter.

Don't these cars have a rationality table that throws the car into limp mode if the MAF values and predicted ones don't match up? Maybe it is possible to sabotage that table so any hot rodding makes the car go limp.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Cleveland OH and can change a 98 with HPTuners. But driving school and training is a better route. I autox in Eastlake all the time (www.noraracing.net) , you should come do that with him. It's better to race on the track than the street.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
Wow thats harsh. No 1st-2nd shifts would kill me. I would rather have an auto.

Its not harsh at all if it saves his life. I drove like a ******* animal when I was 16, cuz I had a v6, all you could do was floor it, lol. I was 17 when I drove my first z28, a friend's. It was only an LT1, but that night I thanked my dad for ruling out v8's for my first car. I would have killed myself and I knew it.

This guy's kid is just that, a kid. He doesn't know what he does and doesn't need, and the father should be the man making these decisions.

If he is a car guy like his father is(since he's a member of this board), he'll want to do **** to make it go faster too, and he might figure out what you've done to detune it. It's $30 at a dealer to reflash the PCM, then he's faster than he can handle again. I know for damn sure I wouldn't be able to handle the car I own now as a 16 yr old, and that was only 2.5 years ago.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Launching!

I wouldnt be worried about the top speed as much as I would the fact that these cars will come around on you in a second. Take a corner, slide it sidways, get into a tank slapper, and off the road you go, all at under 60 mph.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Its not harsh at all if it saves his life. I drove like a ******* animal when I was 16, cuz I had a v6, all you could do was floor it, lol. I was 17 when I drove my first z28, a friend's. It was only an LT1, but that night I thanked my dad for ruling out v8's for my first car. I would have killed myself and I knew it.

This guy's kid is just that, a kid. He doesn't know what he does and doesn't need, and the father should be the man making these decisions.

If he is a car guy like his father is(since he's a member of this board), he'll want to do **** to make it go faster too, and he might figure out what you've done to detune it. It's $30 at a dealer to reflash the PCM, then he's faster than he can handle again. I know for damn sure I wouldn't be able to handle the car I own now as a 16 yr old, and that was only 2.5 years ago.
I guess we were a little different at that age. I got my z28 when I was 17. Never been in a wreck or gotten a ticket in it. Before that I had a 73 big block charger, no wrecks and no tickets. Its just a matter of self control and responsibility. Im just saying, dont give the kid an ls1 if you are gonna cripple it. I would rather have a v6 instead of an ls1 with a leash on it, or choke collar for that matter.

Last edited by TLUZLS1; 08-04-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hhornet87
hello i was wondering if it is possible to regulate the max speed of a 1998 ws6. i want to regulate the max speed to 80 to 90 mph
I'm glad I am not your kid

Next thing you will be getting is the obd2 logger to monitor is his driving habits
Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shotty128

Next thing you will be getting is the obd2 logger to monitor is his driving habits
Now THAT would suck
Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Had my '69 when I turned 16. Built it with my dad when I was 14 and 15. Drove it hard, but never past my skill level. Closest I ever came to wrecking it was I almost slid off the road when it was snowing out, and that would've happened in a Geo if I'd had one of those too. I had GREAT respect for the truck, because I built it with my own hands with my dad, and I knew that he, and my mom and friends would be disappointed in me if I did something stupid to wreck it. My parents friends acutally called them stupid for allowing me to build a truck with a 350 in it. They GUARANTEED my parents that I'd wreck it.....never did I.

My youngest brother has an 11 second Grand National. He's bought it when he was 15, started driving it at 16, and it now that he's 18, it's a quick little bastard. Same deal with him...it ran low 14s when he got it, and through MUCH blood, sweat, tears, money, and 4 blown 200R4s, it's a nice running car. He did the work HIMSELF, working at the local Chevy dealer all the while to payback my dad for the car, and to pay for all his parts. No tickets, no wrecks. (Actually, he's been nailed for speeding in his Sierra a few times, haha.)

My theory, which has been proven multiple times: If the kid has to work for it...he will respect it. If he knows that there are consequences of his actions (car will be taken away, sold, etc) he will more than likely be good with it.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shotty128

Now they have GPS system that you can see where your kids are on the internet from work or where ever.

You can see speed and other vitals. It even allows you to honk the horn. I don't think it had a shutdown.

One of my friends did that to his son.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Big Brother is watching....
Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a throttle stop on it so it only has about half throttle. I'm sure you could make something to mount on the throttle body.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mvvette97
Put a throttle stop on it so it only has about half throttle. I'm sure you could make something to mount on the throttle body.
If your son is anything like me, that'd last about the time it took me to pull over and cut/bend/hammer/plasma/weld it the f*ck out of the way
Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
If your son is anything like me, that'd last about the time it took me to pull over and cut/bend/hammer/plasma/weld it the f*ck out of the way
that may be but if he did do that then the only thing he would be allowed to drive is a moped. I guess I will not have to worry about that though because I don't have a son anymore. I do have a daughter that is getting very close to her teenage years. That could be bad for me because of teenage boys.

Quick Reply: Regulate Speed Of Ws6 For My Son