Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regulate Speed Of Ws6 For My Son

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
I guess we were a little different at that age. I got my z28 when I was 17. Never been in a wreck or gotten a ticket in it. Before that I had a 73 big block charger, no wrecks and no tickets. Its just a matter of self control and responsibility. Im just saying, dont give the kid an ls1 if you are gonna cripple it. I would rather have a v6 instead of an ls1 with a leash on it, or choke collar for that matter.
Yeah **** was different back then. You were responsible for your actions. This is no longer the case. If this kid wrecks and dies, the makers of Fast and Furious will be sued for some reason.

My opinion is that this kis should not get a WS6 for his first car. Make him wait a year, and do some work on it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Alt
TECH Resident

I've had a Camaro from the time I was 16 and a half until now (22 and a half - 5 years), and I wish my grandfather was around to thank for leaving me his v6 when he passed. Thats about all I'd ever thank the man for, but thats another story. Without that knowledge of a RWD 160hp car and how to handle and move that car around I would have never lived past February when I was caught in a freak snow/ice storm in New Jersey and came within 6 inches of sliding off of the road, down the embankment and into the river with a drop too steep for me to see in the car.

Living out in the boondocks my father would tell me to drive to the local store, with the weather about to snow, and he would follow me in our jeep. We would make it before anything started to stick but he would set out cones and we would wait for the snow to come down. Then we would drive the car in the parking lot with different maneuvers so I could learn my vehicle and how it handled. Then we would leave the car in the lot and drive home in the jeep and get it when the roads cleared.

You need to learn the limits of the car that you're driving and how to avoid any type of situation you could come up with in your mind. Freaky things happen and knowing the correct way to go about it and make it a safer situation is the best thing you can do. If you don't believe that your son has that ability to make those judgements on his own with the vehicle that you provide for him then he shouldn't drive the car until such requirements are met. If I didn't feel comfortable with my car, no matter what driving style I have, I have enough knowledge to keep it as safe as possible and within its limits.

Though if you own the WS6 and its not your son's to drive except on certain occaisions and you feel that by regulating the vehicles top speed is enough for him, then by all means, I'm in no position to tell you what you should do with your son. I just hope you are making a wise choice.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by horist
if you buy HP Tuners you can do what you want.... AND you can use black box logging

anytime I drop my car off anywhere.... I flash it so it can't rev above 3k RPM , and can't exceed 15mph
lol that is ******* awsome
Old 08-07-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have HPtuners too...
did the same thing horist said for a friends car... RPM limit was 2000 and max speed set to 15.

theres no reason the dealership should exceed either of thoes when you drop it off in their parkinglot for bodywork... i just flashed it in the parking lot, then re-flashed it when he picked it up.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Teching In

good thing my parents dont know anything about cars, i told them that when i bought my 2000 FRC corvette that the computer wouldnt let you go above 100 haha.

if you are really worried about him speeding i would get a data logger thing that records his speed. because i am a Sr. in Hs and i know how i get sometimes even though i consider myself very responsible, Bottom line is that if he really wants too , most of the things you do to the car he can get around or have reversed.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

I was sixteen when i got my 2002 z28 m6, and i was scared to drive as fast as i do now(I am 17 now). IF you limit it to 80 he WILL race it 0 to 80. i bought a hypertech max energy programmer and you can program it to certain speeds with this, i think this would be a good idea cause eventualy you will want to unprogram the speed limiter and if you have it proffesionaly done it will cost you money every time you have it done, but if you buy a handheld programer you can change it as much as you want and only have to pay once. And he will probably be extremly pissed and not like the car as much if it only does 80. If you realy want your son to be happy and love his car just bite the bullet and go with old sstroker suggestion.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Probably 99% of the people in this thread have had at least 1 "vehicular incident" that could have easily killed them, but didn't. Speed limiting the vehicle is an inferior answer to the problem. If the kid is responsible enough to let loose with a car, let him loose. If he is not that knowledgable or responsible, he has NO business with a high HP car anyway. There is NO substitute for quality training. When I drove in my first snowstorm at 16, it was no problem because of previous dirt track go-kart experience. My dad had the forethought to make damn sure I could drive before inflicting me on the general population. Parenting>electronic intervention.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Banned

Why not let him be a kid?

If he wants to test the limits of his LS1, rest assure it is only a matter of time before law enforcement catches him. And trust me on this, that will teach you a lesson. They took my license away for a year about 3 years ago. I haven't street raced since, haven't significantly broken traffic laws since, haven't been cited since. I just wish I had gotten the ticket and learned my lesson sooner, because the lives I risked, the people I've seen just like me who learned their lesson the hard way, it scares me.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Why not let him be a kid?

If he wants to test the limits of his LS1, rest assure it is only a matter of time before law enforcement catches him. And trust me on this, that will teach you a lesson. They took my license away for a year about 3 years ago. I haven't street raced since, haven't significantly broken traffic laws since, haven't been cited since. I just wish I had gotten the ticket and learned my lesson sooner, because the lives I risked, the people I've seen just like me who learned their lesson the hard way, it scares me.

Probably because it's a known fact kids are stupid and will continue to push things until they get caught... and likely even after...

If only everyone that insists on buying their 16 year old a fast car would do the same...
Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Not a bad post Old SStroker. I agree with that approach. It would be nice to see more of that happen, rather than seeing most of the people I know learn it on their own.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Permanently turn on the traction control as well.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Alt
Living out in the boondocks my father would tell me to drive to the local store, with the weather about to snow, and he would follow me in our jeep. We would make it before anything started to stick but he would set out cones and we would wait for the snow to come down. Then we would drive the car in the parking lot with different maneuvers so I could learn my vehicle and how it handled. Then we would leave the car in the lot and drive home in the jeep and get it when the roads cleared.
LOL. That sounds familiar. I've only owned camaros. My parents let me buy whatever car I wanted, and when I came home with an 85 V6 camaro my dad was actually disappointed that it wasn't something with more power to teach me on properly. Regardless, after he took it out for a drive he came back a little happier about it and had me hop in the driver's seat. From then on, once a month, we'd go out and he'd teach me a new skill and have me practice it for a full month. Randomly would give me a test if you will on whatever skill he had shown me in the past.

Eventually, I put some nitrous in it and my parents weren't concerned in the least. He wants me to teach him about nitrous now and how to use it properly. (If only I can get back to Maine sometime instead of being on deployment all the time.)

Definitely don't have that car anymore, but if it hadn't been for proper instruction, I know I'd be dead. Limiting it wouldn't have done much. 135hp is enough to do something stupid, especially if there are lots of dirt roads and very few cops. Proper instruction and making someone earn it is the only way to keep someone safe.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

The problem isn't the car. The problem is responsibility and parenting. Anyone in here who says a 16 year old kid can't handle an fbody is full of it.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by striker754
The problem isn't the car. The problem is responsibility and parenting. Anyone in here who says a 16 year old kid can't handle an fbody is full of it.
Then why will they pay double the insurance rate of a 25 yr old?

Because statistically they can't handle it.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by striker754
I'm sure there might be a "few" 16 YO's that can handle an F-body (or a car for that matter)... but the majority can't.

The parent will know if his kid can "drive", and this parent has stated that he has his doubts...
so you're saying that this parent is "full of it"...?

Seems to me that you're going out on a limb regarding someone else's kid...

Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

why would you buy your 16 year old something like this?
why not get him a v6 one, or better yet make him suffer like all the other kids that end up making it thru high school without dying in a car crash... get him a volvo..
older ones boxy style are safe as hell and cheap too...
i have never seen a cocky young kid with a fast car make it thru high school and still have the car at the end of high school..
i have however seen a volvo 740 take a head on collision fro a cadillac at 60mph(both cars were going 60)
and only damage the core support and bust the radiator on the volvo...
cadillac was totalled..
just an idea.. good luck with turning the governor down, id also limit the rpms, so he cant even use the car potential.. limit him to 4000 rpms and 65 mph..
then he'll have to go the speed limit, and cant even **** and get in a light to light race...
maybe slowly raise the top speed and rpms.. let him get used to the cars characteristics at low speeds and let him increase till hes back to normal..
oh and make sure he realizes drinking and driving will kill him and probably someone else...
Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

If i had to pick a car to wreck in, i just watch the tv show cops. If a speeding guy getting chased going 120+ mph and not wear a seat belt, slam into a ditch roll over and STILL continue to jump out the window and run from them, That is a good tough safe car. :> Ive seen quite a few camaros on that show... lol
Old 08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car is at its most dangerous state in 1st and 2nd gear. Thats when you can spin the wheels and throw the rear around. Any car these days can go 100mph or more if you want. My friends 92 civic goes 130 and its stock. What it dosnt do however is fly out of control if you dump the clutch in first or start off aggressively in the rain. BTW, the stock GSC's that come on the car are horrible in the rain. He better drive like granny smith if its even kinda wet out with stock tires.

Why not make him drive a slow FWD car? Then you will have much less to worry about. His insurance will be less as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

I see where to set the top speed in efilive but what is the best way to set the rev limiter just change B3330?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you will have set both B3330 and B3331

Quick Reply: Regulate Speed Of Ws6 For My Son