Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0131 and NOW p0151!! help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0131 and NOW p0151!! help please

ok so my car didnt realy run right and threw the SES so i hooked up a tech2 to it and it read the p0131 code, which i was told is the first sensor in the driver side. well i found a sensor laying around at the body shop i work at (bosch) that came offa camaro that didnt throw any codes, so i put it in. then hooked the tech 2 back up and went for a ride. SES came back on and instead of only p0131 it threw a p0151 also!!! whats' the deal? can you not use 1 oem o2 and one bosch? was the o2 sensor maybe not the problem? car seems to start off better if i ease into it and it kinda drops off after 5k rpm on WOT. maybe a fuel delivery problem?? any help would be great.
thanks
beau
Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

You shouldn't experience any issues running different O2 sensors. Just to be clear, the P0131 code is referencing a low voltage problem on the driver's side fron't O2 sensor. The P0151 is the same problem for the passenger side front O2 sensor. These tests are not evaluated at WOT, so the problem at 5k RPM is not the issue. However, an overall fueling issue could be part of your problem. Some things to consider:
  • The PCM sets this DTC when the vehicle runs out of fuel.
  • Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) wire: Sensor pigtail may be in contact with the exhaust manifold or the exhaust system.
  • An oxygen supply inside the HO2S is necessary for proper operation. The HO2S wires provides the supply of oxygen. Inspect the HO2S wires and connections for breaks or contamination.
  • Test for intermittent ground in signal wire between connector and sensor. Lean injector(s): Perform the Injector Balance Test. Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test.
  • Fuel contamination: Water near the in-tank fuel pump inlet can be delivered to the injectors. The water causes a lean exhaust and can set a DTC. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .
  • Fuel pressure: System will be lean if fuel pressure is low.
  • Exhaust leaks: An exhaust leak near the HO2S can cause a lean condition.
  • Vacuum or crankcase leaks can cause a lean condition.
  • If the above are OK, the HO2S may be at fault.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Teching In

alright thanks man ..just fixed an exhaust leak..guess i shoudl be checkin my fuel delivery next
Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Teching In

IT WAS THE ECM

first i replaced bank 1 sensor 1 and still threw the same codes (both sensors). then i talked to one of my buddies and he said it was either a bad ground or an ecm... so i took it from there. reluctant to change the ecm, i rerouted the ground from the back of the driver side head but that didnt help anything. then i got one of my buddies to check voltage to the o2 sensors (not much experience with voltage meter) and he said the ground was good and they were gettin power, so voltage was not an issue...so i bucked up and bought the ecm. just installed it tonight and got a buddy to program it for me. no more SES light!! much more low end torque now as well.

it took so long because i've just been busy with school and family. just figured i'd post this in case someone else was having the same problem.

thanks for all the help guys
beau
Old 01-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Teching In

send me an email if you want to correspond I think I can help lead you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: p0131 and NOW p0151!! help please