Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband to EGR 98/99

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband to EGR 98/99

Now, I have a 98 TA. I am planning on wiring my LC1 wideband to the harness that was left over from my EGR delete.

98 EGR harness should have
black- sensor ground
gray - 5v feed
brown - egr signal
red - valve control
gray - valve ground

the 99 harness has
black - ground
gray - 5v feed
brown - pintle pos
gray - valve ground
light blue - valve control.

here is my problem, i have a 98 with a 98 PCM (we determined this while wiring up a msd window switch).

but I have the 99+ wire configuration for the egr harness (light blue instead of red).

maybe this is not an issue, if the Pintle Pos = EGR signal, then it wont matter because I wont be using the light blue or red wires anyways.

but my plan was to wire one of the LC1 ground wires to the EGR ground, the other to the valve ground (this should give enough distance to eliminate any noise right?). The signal wire from the lc1 would then go to the signal/pintle wire (brown wire in both). then the power would go to the 5v feed line? is that an ignition switched positive?

I beleive that would cover the install on the LC1.

agree disagree?

thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

anyone? is this the right setup? i cant find a thread on it
Old 08-20-2007, 04:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leave the PCM regulated 5V alone unless you know exactly what it's current limit is (viability as a source) and are using it to pull in a 5VDC micro or reed type relay for power switching. That 5VDC CAN'T hand out much current; it's logic level.

Also yes, the pintle pos. would be the input you need. Personally I'd find another ground as well since operating current will return through it. Though it'd make a nice reference for the signal, I'd leave it alone for fear of overdrawing (or sinking I guess, do you like conventional current or electron flow? ).
Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

so which wire then is the switched 12v for the egr? I guess I dont understand why i cant draw the same positives and ground the EGR did. the sensor will be fused. also, I since both ground wires in this harness go back to the PCM I can understand using a separate ground, I could self tap one right onto the strut tower (they should be as far apart as possible correct?)

I found an egr install for the AC pressure input, anyone know of one spefically for the EGR?

or how about this:
Heater ground straight to chassis
Sensor ground to the egr sensor ground wire
red wire to EGR pos (which im guessing is still the 5v feed, i know this hasnt changed, but if fused is there any danger? is there a better wire nearby to splice into?)
signal output to pintle pos

the other option is I find a hot wire under the dash to tap into, I just thought it would be slick to have the whole thing going straight into that harness.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't pulled that EGR harness apart, only the wire that is the input to the PCM. I don't know if the V+ to the EGR setup is 5 or 12V but if you are dealing with a 5V wire again, it's a sensor level output that is NOT made for powering a device, it's just a reference for the PCM used to determine an analog value from a sensor. What are you even trying to hook up to it; what kind of wideband needs 5V power, I've never heard of anything like that.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

I am hooking up an lc1 wideband. I guess what confuses me is the EGR has to have an all time positive signal powering or else its sensor would not work correct? haynes labels this wire as the "5v feed", because everything else is either ground, signal/pintle or the valve control wire which im assuming is hot, but wont be on at all times wht the ignition.

I am just trying to find the hot wire that powers the EGR, because this should also be able to power the lc1 right? the schematic in haynes shows the ground coming in and looping straight out to the grey 5v feed wire. separating these two is a resistor that the brown signal wire comes into. ALL of these wires are shown going back to the pcm, even the grounds. the other two wires are ghe grey valve ground and lt blue valve control. this circuit will not always be live with the ignition correct? the pcm turns it on and off right?