Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a Tuner that used Tuner Cat software

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a Tuner that used Tuner Cat software

found a local tuner that tunes with Tuner Cat software. He is actually in Columbia, MO. I asked him some questions about how he tunes and here is his answers.

What kind of software do you use?

Tuner Cat

Also, do you change the A/F ratio for maximum
fuel mileage.

In cruise mode

And how what kind of mileage gains could
I get with the 4.8 V-8 and the 5.3 V-8.

I have seen 2 to 5 mpg depending on how you drive.

I would like to get a tune from this guy, but I haven't really heard anything about him. And also what is tuning in cruise mode all about? Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by horist; 09-06-2007 at 01:04 PM. Reason: removed non sponsor link
Old 09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jschwartze
fuel mileage.

In cruise mode
So, you want it to run leaner than 14.7?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschwartze
found a local tuner that tunes with Tuner Cat software. He is actually in Columbia, MO. I asked him some questions about how he tunes and here is his answers.

What kind of software do you use?

Tuner Cat

fuel mileage.

In cruise mode

And how what kind of mileage gains could
I get with the 4.8 V-8 and the 5.3 V-8.

I have seen 2 to 5 mpg depending on how you drive.

I would like to get a tune from this guy, but I haven't really heard anything about him. And also what is tuning in cruise mode all about? Let me know what you guys think.
why would you want to cruise leaner then 14.7? i mean in the factory form the trucks cruise at 14.7-15.2 generally. i think if you run it any leaner your going to run into some leaner misfire issues
Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Lean cruise causes engine temps to rise by a significant amount. I've always stayed away from them after seeing what pistons look like from a car that had a lean cruise mode initiated.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Teching In

I don't want my truck to run lean, just wondering how he gains his gas mileage of 2-3 mpg that he claims. Has anyone else used tunercat software on 01 or 06 pickups. How does it work anyway?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The software works fine. It is not as fancy or as EASY as efi or hp but it will do just fine.

Be more concerned about the person using the software more than the what software he uses. I am not saying anything bad or good about the tuner you are referring to, just in general.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

lean cruise is not used in the us because of emmissions.
some holdens use a lean cruise
tuner cat updated their VDF files a couple months ago.
some people claim to have it figured out. i plan to be one of them soon. its no joke it does work and it will not burn your car down when done right.
i have been working on tring to find some stock holden tunes that i can read.
lean cruise enabled at between 1200 &2800 rpms at light to no load could bring some good gains to highway miles.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Well, I emailed this guy and asked him if he does the A/F ratio for max. fuel mileage. He replied "in cruise mode". So what does Cruise mode mean? Also, he wants to charge $300 for a tune, with free updates. Is that reasonable or can I buy the program myself for that amount of money? I now have a wester's tune in my truck, but it is a mail order tune, and I would think getting a tune done in person would be a lot better, don't you? Also, with tunercat software, can you tune it while you drive, or is that only available with the other software that is out there?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is good software. It's also easier to navigate once you become familar with the interface. IT does require the user to memorize table names though and how to decode them.

Originally Posted by DynoDR
The software works fine. It is not as fancy or as EASY as efi or hp but it will do just fine.

Be more concerned about the person using the software more than the what software he uses. I am not saying anything bad or good about the tuner you are referring to, just in general.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1curious
It is good software. It's also easier to navigate once you become familar with the interface. IT does require the user to memorize table names though and how to decode them.
I got a chance to see a copy of it at a shop here in MI. Definitely laid out a little different than what I'm used to (EFILive). It also seemed to have access to less tables (maybe because it was an older version???). However, it did have one cool feature that allowed you to adjust the 3-D maps with the mouse using a click and drag. We can do that on our 2-D maps....but, not the 3-D's.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Unlike HP and EFI tunercat segragates the constants single byte values and the table 2d and 3d arrays. It'll look like fewer tables in reality but its not becuase its not a tab window based layout.HP is missing a ton of idle controls that TC has. I know becuase I have both.

On of the best GUI differences between the 3 differing software companies is the way TC lays out its Diagnostic code interface. Its far easier to navigate. TC breaks up the codes by type so you have fuel/emissions/ignition etc etc etc in the approiate sub categorys.

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
I got a chance to see a copy of it at a shop here in MI. Definitely laid out a little different than what I'm used to (EFILive). It also seemed to have access to less tables (maybe because it was an older version???). However, it did have one cool feature that allowed you to adjust the 3-D maps with the mouse using a click and drag. We can do that on our 2-D maps....but, not the 3-D's.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1curious
Unlike HP and EFI tunercat segragates the constants single byte values and the table 2d and 3d arrays. It'll look like fewer tables in reality but its not becuase its not a tab window based layout.HP is missing a ton of idle controls that TC has. I know becuase I have both.

On of the best GUI differences between the 3 differing software companies is the way TC lays out its Diagnostic code interface. Its far easier to navigate. TC breaks up the codes by type so you have fuel/emissions/ignition etc etc etc in the approiate sub categorys.
Sean? Is that you??
Old 09-07-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sean? Is that you??
Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

However, it did have one cool feature that allowed you to adjust the 3-D maps with the mouse using a click and drag. We can do that on our 2-D maps....but, not the 3-D's.
I thought that was a basic thing nowadays... My oldest version of HPT did it and I don't know what I'd do without it. Actually I do, but it would be a PITA. Betta get on top of those EFIL coders.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Well, I emailed this guy and asked him if he does the A/F ratio for max. fuel mileage. He replied "in cruise mode". So what does Cruise mode mean? Also, he wants to charge $300 for a tune, with free updates. Is that reasonable or can I buy the program myself for that amount of money? I now have a wester's tune in my truck, but it is a mail order tune, and I would think getting a tune done in person would be a lot better, don't you? Also, with tunercat software, can you tune it while you drive, or is that only available with the other software that is out there?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sean? Is that you??