PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

450 to much for dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007 | 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

here to have you rear 02's turned off and tune out air pump, delete torq management and change shift points is only 35$
Old 09-25-2007 | 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DansRedz28
here to have you rear 02's turned off and tune out air pump, delete torq management and change shift points is only 35$
You've got some very nice shops down there as that is definitely not the norm.
Old 09-25-2007 | 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow, I would not even walk outside in the heat for $35...

Ryan
Old 09-25-2007 | 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by slow

Ryan
Old 09-25-2007 | 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

Ryan

bwaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa
Old 09-25-2007 | 08:20 PM
Banned

Ryan
Old 09-25-2007 | 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by foff667
You need to understand what your paying for.

a. dyno time
b. wear & tear on the dyno, laptop, laptop battery, & wideband 02 sensor all of which has to be accounted for.
c. the price of the software for your vehicle(yes in most cases this would be long since paid for but considering tuning solutions start at around $500, that $450 you were quoted is still far cheaper)
d. the tuners experience
e. the tuners time
f. the shops time
g. insurance so if something happens the shop can partially/fully cover anything that breaks that is their fault.

If you feel they're overpriced you have a few options...obviously you could ask around for better pricing & possibly worse quality of a tune(or better in some cases) or purchase a software package/laptop/wideband and pay for some dyno time or track time to tune on your own.

I've been in your shoe's though and went the dynotune route only to end up purchasing the software & tuning on my own down the road.

THIS should be made a sticky!
Old 09-25-2007 | 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you wouldnt take $35 for 3 mins of work thats gay LOL Yall are going to get your prices so high everyone will just buy efi live or HP and be done with it. Next thing you know your out of the job when more people learn how to do it because your so high! And every year more and more people learn how to do it So enjoy it while you can!
Old 09-25-2007 | 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think $350-$450 is fine for a H/C tune but for a bolton car? Come on guys thats high!
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you wouldnt take $35 for 3 mins of work thats gay LOL Yall are going to get your prices so high everyone will just buy efi live or HP and be done with it. Next thing you know your out of the job when more people learn how to do it because your so high! And every year more and more people learn how to do it So enjoy it while you can!
It is all about not devaluing the service, unfortunately, this attitude is why unlimited tuning is bad in my opinion, since it does not set a bottom dollar price on services. When you have 6 figures or more tied up into your real tuning business, you need to charge to make it worth your time. It is no different than an IT professional, or other service industry, just because there is no defined "cost" does not mean your time is worth less.

You get "tooners" who purchase unlimited software for 1 small range of vehicles cheaply, and will toon a car for little/no money. It does not do the real professionals in this industry any favors.

I do not think I will be out of a job, due to this

Ryan
Old 09-27-2007 | 01:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i am a new shop ownly been open for 6months. but i charge $500 to tune any car h/c-to wild, and 350 for bolt-on tunes. i do not a have a dyno as of yet(one being built as we speak) so i road tune the car for a long time rescale the VE table, then rescale the Maf table accordly, then check the Wideband for a/f at wide open throttle make sure it safe. then i have a local shop i work with that has a dyno, i throw the car on the dyno and fine tune wide open throttle a/f and timing for max power (safely). and the $500 includes me paying for the dyno time with the shop, its all included in the price.
Old 09-27-2007 | 01:42 PM
Teching In

I LOVE the tuners who say they can load a car, setup, baseline, tweak, set A/F and Timing for max safe power, remove from the dyno, and have it back in the customers hands within 2 hours. Nothing has been custom tuned in that amount of time. They are doing nothing more than verifying that a previous tune for a similar setup is making acceptable power for that particular car. 85% of the vehicles I see come in here have either gotten a mail order tune/sent out PCM for a reflash, tuned by a competing shop, or they tried to tune it themselves with one of the quality tuning software packages. 100% of those tunes are wiped out and I start from scratch with a factory calibration. Having to start from a factory GM tune is bad enough...let alone someone else's "guesses" to what works on that particular car/truck.

A professional tuning shop has overhead. Hell I am better than $200,000 into this little venture. As foff667 said, there is plenty to consider with a pro tuning shop for overhead. I charge more per tune and more per hour for labor than the surrounding shops for 150 miles including Denver. You get what you pay for...at least here you do.
Old 10-03-2007 | 03:45 PM
Teching In

I think $450 is way to much for a bolton car! Its only $350 here with W/B for a H/C car and there is lot more to tune on a H/C over a bolton car. Im sure all they are going to do is copy a tune for another car with same mods and load it to you car and done
Where is here for $350 tune with W/B?
I need tune on 98 SS M6.. Thanks
Old 10-03-2007 | 03:56 PM
Banned

Yall are going to get your prices so high everyone will just buy efi live or HP and be done with it. Next thing you know your out of the job when more people learn how to do it because your so high! And every year more and more people learn how to do it So enjoy it while you can!
HAHA. Whats gonna keep the good ones in business is all the tuning packages sold to novices. Just think, all the mistakes to clean up! Hell a pretty good percentage of my tuning biz is cleaning up tunes by other "pro" tuners.
Tuning is NOT easy, and most dont have the in depth background to really understand what they are doing.
So, just cause you can by a package, turn off some codes, and even adjust timing and fuel, by no means makes you a tuner.
Old 10-03-2007 | 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

imo a tune is a tune...think about it this way...when you go out for pizza, do you sit there at pizza hut and tell them they are over priced cause little ceasers sells pizza for $5? if the shop i use quotes 500, there is a reason...i usually ask to see if i can stay and watch...but i get what i pay for

Last edited by crazboy99; 10-03-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 450 to much for dyno tune?