PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car hits 4600rpm and POW, backfire and shuts off???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If my reluctor wheel is loose and is causing this problem with my car, do you know if it will it be loose enough to move around with one finger pressing it??

I removed my crank sensor and could easliy feel the reluctor wheel and I tried for 20 minutes to move it around the crank, and I tried to move it axially along the crank and it would not move at all.

John
Old 10-10-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Hey guys...I installed my buddys 1999 PCM with his H/C tune into my car. I wanted to see if my car would backfire and shut off with his PCM. Well, the car would "cut out" at the same rpms that my car would backfire and shut down at. BUT using his PCM, the car would not shut off. It would stay running. what the heck?
Looks liek you found the problem , if the cars perfectly with somone elses PCM then it is in your PCM or more specifically your tune , I would suspect its running very lean , time to get it to a dyno and checked out.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tomcat
Looks liek you found the problem , if the cars perfectly with somone elses PCM then it is in your PCM or more specifically your tune , I would suspect its running very lean , time to get it to a dyno and checked out.
perfectly???? dude did you even read what I wrote????

the car cuts out with the other PCM as well. my old H/C running on my bone stock tune wouldnt even cut out. My tuner said its not the PCM if its still cutting out at 5000.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, really the only thing left then is the wiring... Unless you have some kind of mechanical problem that only manifests at that RPM like a broken valvespring ? If it backfires wouldn't that be an open valve that shouldn't be open ? Check valvesprings/pushrods lately ?

Have you checked ground wires where they meet the chassis/block/heads ? Is the battery mounted securely ? Anything moving around in the engine compartment when you hit the throttle that could be shorting something out ?

Just some thoughts...

BTW I'd still get the crank relearn done. Maybe the tuner can log what's happening when the car shuts off ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad30th
Wow, really the only thing left then is the wiring... Unless you have some kind of mechanical problem that only manifests at that RPM like a broken valvespring ? If it backfires wouldn't that be an open valve that shouldn't be open ? Check valvesprings/pushrods lately ?

Have you checked ground wires where they meet the chassis/block/heads ? Is the battery mounted securely ? Anything moving around in the engine compartment when you hit the throttle that could be shorting something out ?

Just some thoughts...

BTW I'd still get the crank relearn done. Maybe the tuner can log what's happening when the car shuts off ?

Rob (Bad30th)
I got a complete engine wire harness on the way that im going to install and Ill see what that does. If that doesnt help, Im taking it to the dealership. they said they can scan the car as it goes throught the rpms and as it backfires and shuts down. so we'll see. Battery is good. Ill check the grounds tonight.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Maybe a shot in the dark,But if you know someone w/EFILive you have to add to table {6101} ETC Predicted Airflow.I don't know if your PCM has that,But you can give it a try.I had the samething when I started modding.................Paul
Old 10-13-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

TTT any updates on this?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tiburon
TTT any updates on this?
nope. I had my altanator checked by 2 places and it was good. Im calling the dealership tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Please let us know about any updates. It sounds really weird and I will be greatfull to know what is the cause of the problem just in case.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I will update this thread when I find out whats causing this bullshit. I dont want anybody else going through this crap.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Subscribed
Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

just updating this. The dealership could not find the problem. im taking it to the guy who tuned the car this saturday.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Hey guys...I installed my buddys 1999 PCM with his H/C tune into my car. I wanted to see if my car would backfire and shut off with his PCM. Well, the car would "cut out" at the same rpms that my car would backfire and shut down at. BUT using his PCM, the car would not shut off. It would stay running. what the heck?

This is the bit that got me confused , "BUT using his PCM, the car would not shut off" , maybe it is the the yank english that threw me.

Has fuel pressure been checked at the cutout point , what does the scan tool show when its cutting out
Old 10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tomcat
This is the bit that got me confused , "BUT using his PCM, the car would not shut off" , maybe it is the the yank english that threw me.

Has fuel pressure been checked at the cutout point , what does the scan tool show when its cutting out

Fuel pressure stays at 58psi the entire time. The dealership said since my car is so modded and has a custom tune, their scan tool would not read correctly.
Im taking to the guy that dyno tuned the car to see if his software can see anything.

could bad coils be a option????
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Interesting find tonight. The first 2 spark plugs on each side are bright white...NOT TAN at all. Then the back 2 plugs on each side are a light tan color.

any ideas on this?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Cutting off

I seem to remember reading something in HPtuners that torque management can be adjusted to cut out more or less cylinders when approaching abuse level. Maybe yours has all cylinders enabled to cutout at full WOT.This would account for shutting down with your PCM and only cutting back with your friends. Could have made that mistake when it was tuned. When I get a chance I'll get into my help section and read up on it. I doubt it would be your wiring if it's not doing the same thing with your friends PCM.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by eagleuh1
I seem to remember reading something in HPtuners that torque management can be adjusted to cut out more or less cylinders when approaching abuse level. Maybe yours has all cylinders enabled to cutout at full WOT.This would account for shutting down with your PCM and only cutting back with your friends. Could have made that mistake when it was tuned. When I get a chance I'll get into my help section and read up on it. I doubt it would be your wiring if it's not doing the same thing with your friends PCM.
Thats interesting, however, the car was dyno tuned and ran perfect. This problem came out of no where.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

...and it only happens when you're WOT to 4600rpm, but you can rev to that RPM from idle ?

Have you double-checked the coil and injector wiring ? (or did you install the new harness ?)

Do the lights/gauges in the car do anything wierd when it cuts out ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 10-19-2007, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would lean towards possibly a bad PCM since you said you shorted a wire on the CPS harness on the positive of the battery, the PCM can't take that kind of current directly to it.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bad30th
...and it only happens when you're WOT to 4600rpm, but you can rev to that RPM from idle ?

Have you double-checked the coil and injector wiring ? (or did you install the new harness ?)

Do the lights/gauges in the car do anything wierd when it cuts out ?

Rob (Bad30th)

If i go into the throttle easy, this wont happen until 5000-5500. If I jump on the gas, it seems to happen around 4500. But yes, I can drive the car normal and take it to about 3000 and shift in to the next gear like normal.

Im swapping my buddys coils & wires on tonight. If my memory is working right, This problem occured after I found 2 cracked plugs and then I installed 8 new plugs. Maybe I screwed up a wire.

I bought wiring harness off a guy and found out it was for a '98 and wouldnt work with my car. I sent back and got my moeny back.

I know the gauges die out when the car shuts down. From what ive been reading this means the problem is electrical and not a fuel issue. Fuel pressure is at 58psi anyway.

Quick Reply: car hits 4600rpm and POW, backfire and shuts off???