PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power to gain goin from 18 degrees of timing to 28?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Stu
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much power to gain goin from 18 degrees of timing to 28?

For the first time since I got Edit I actually spent some time tonite tuning my Maf table. MAF-T took a poop on me

I spent quite a bit of time goin over my timing and seeing where I was gettin KR. Oklahoma 91 octane dont help a bit. Anyways all this time I have been bitchin about my low MPH for a cam car...113 average even in 50 degree weather. Come to find out my timing has been maxing itself out at 20 and averaging out at 18

I went to Autozone and grabbed some Octane booster and the KR fell off quite a bit but it still stayed in the low octane table and maxed out at 20 with KR only on the shifts.....0.7-1.0
I realize it doesnt reset till I get more gas but I have my high octane tables at 28 degrees.

So how much MPH do you think I am losin? Would it stand to say I could get 2+ mph goin from 20 to 28 degrees of timing?

Thanks, Stu
Old 06-16-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: How much power to gain goin from 18 degrees of timing to 28?

rule of thumb i have heard is 1% power for every degree. so thats around 30hp BUT you gotta find the source of that knock and eliminate it before moving forward.. i suggest a plug change, perhaps add some fuel to your PE table, or even run some top end cleaner through the engine.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Stu
TECH Resident

Its a cam only car and I run it pretty hard Dave. I am pretty sure its in the gas out here in the middle of nowhere. I added booster and the KR went from 4-6 degrees down to 1-2. I think with the good east coast 93 octane and a little more tuning I could gain 2-4 mph.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Stu, you arent gonna catch me so just chill

you still gotta find where that Knock is coming from? You think the knock sensors need to be desensitized? I read where some people have to do that after swapping cams and etc. If you have the stock MAF put that on the car just to see what happens man Set the MAF back to stock also.