PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Can factory Traction Control be reprogrammed to make it somewhat useful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007 | 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gametech
I hope you understand that F1 requires a team of engineers to tweak the TC (and other things) for the specific race conditions of each track on any particular day. Unless you have millions to pay in team salaries, I don't believe that to be a fair comparison.
Its not a fair comparison. The OP is comparing a safety feature from GM to LAUNCH CONTROL, a performance feature from BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. They may use the same principals, but they are not the same thing.
Launch control is an extremely aggressive traction control, made to do exactly what it does. Get the car rolling as quickly as possible by not over powering itself.
GMs lame *** TC is to keep you from wreckin your car. And TM is to keep you from beatin your trans to death.
+1. Learn how to drive.
Old 11-30-2007 | 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Its not a fair comparison. The OP is comparing a safety feature from GM to LAUNCH CONTROL, a performance feature from BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc. They may use the same principals, but they are not the same thing.
Launch control is an extremely aggressive traction control, made to do exactly what it does. Get the car rolling as quickly as possible by not over powering itself.
GMs lame *** TC is to keep you from wreckin your car. And TM is to keep you from beatin your trans to death.
+1. Learn how to drive.
Exactly. The bosch products GM uses for this are mass produced for a variety of applications just to prevent you from sliding off the road. They are made to cut the power and stop you from spinning ect.

The launch control is a much faster computer designed to just barely keep the wheels spinning so you don't bog. That requires more study into the exact set up and a much faster computer.
Old 12-01-2007 | 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
We are all lying to you and traction control will make you launch perfect and fast every time.

/sarcasm.

I'm not being a dick, you asked a question and got a response (actually several) but it was not the response that you wanted, so I guess you will just have to see for yourself.

I'll say it one more time to be clear. OEM traction assist on Vettes and F-bodies are not useful at all for drag racing, and most likely no good for road racing either. No one here has any reason to lie about this stuff, it's just the way it is. I drive my car at over 700rwhp daily, so I know exactly how important throttle modulation is. I know it as well as anyone. There is no magic fix here; once the suspension work is done its all about technique.
Frost, I think you just haven't read my latest posts carefully. I was asking about available traction control systems already, I wasn't doubting ls1tech people knowledge after they wrote that factory TC is useless
Thanx for the technical part of your answer though
Old 12-02-2007 | 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vetal
What a great technical advice. Honestly. No slicks, no suspension work, no traction control - just learn to drive...
Yeah thats what people do with their cars, they drive them. TC sucks.
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know.