Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carputer tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carputer tuning

I have done quite a bit of reading on the carputer stuff over at MP3car.com.
The main reason I would like to do something like this is to be able to tune my car and view data on the fly. With that being said I know there is a module that allows you to re flash your PCM on the fly without turning the car off. In theory I would be able to run a program like EFI live, log data, edit values, and re tune on the fly.....is this feasible?
a few more questions
1) Is there anything specific I would need to do or buy to keep the FAST AFR and EFI live hooked up in the car (I will hide them, but make them readily accessable) and leave them in there connected to my PC?
2) Has anyone attempted this before?
3) Not having too much experience with this is there a seperate program that doesn't use as much system resouces as EFI live that I could view readings from different sensors on my PC screen....even functions like RPM, MAP?
4)Is there any software for a normal PC that will give performance readouts like G forces, 60' times, in theoretical values?
5) Is there a PC program that will read thermocouples? Basically if I wanted to put one in my differential to monitor that temp for example and I didn't want to install another gauge, anyway can view it on my PC?
6) How big of a processor would I need to say re flash data and listen to music or watch a movie at the same time?

Not sure if I am getting my questions clearly out there. I guess the end is that I would want to be able to monitor, log, and tune on the fly. Any opinions, suggestions, ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can be done no problems at all. A mate of mine has this capability in his UTE. Get a Road Runner PCM so that you can do real real time tuning. Also thermocouples can be hooked straight up to the EFI LIVE V2 and logged via the scan tool.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
I have done quite a bit of reading on the carputer stuff over at MP3car.com.
The main reason I would like to do something like this is to be able to tune my car and view data on the fly. With that being said I know there is a module that allows you to re flash your PCM on the fly without turning the car off. In theory I would be able to run a program like EFI live, log data, edit values, and re tune on the fly.....is this feasible?
a few more questions
1) Is there anything specific I would need to do or buy to keep the FAST AFR and EFI live hooked up in the car (I will hide them, but make them readily accessable) and leave them in there connected to my PC?
I run a dual LC1 and EFILive for my tuning. Since the bird is garage kept, and I don't park it in public parking lots, I rarely remove the WB and V2 from the car.

2) Has anyone attempted this before?
I've looked into the carputer thing, but opted to go the laptop route. I figured if someone broke into my car, not only would they get my tuning gear, but the PC I use to tune with as well. It's a pimp idea none the less.

3) Not having too much experience with this is there a seperate program that doesn't use as much system resouces as EFI live that I could view readings from different sensors on my PC screen....even functions like RPM, MAP?
There are several programs available, but you will need to have a specific cable in order to interface with your PCM. For a scanning solution, you can use EFILive's V2 hand-held module (more at http://www.forum.efilive.com)

4)Is there any software for a normal PC that will give performance readouts like G forces, 60' times, in theoretical values?
Again, if you have the software, you'll need the hardware to run with it. Most PC's don't come equipped with accelerometers (sp?)

I use a GTech RR for that info. It's a windshield mount module that logs all the stuff you're looking for.

5) Is there a PC program that will read thermocouples? Basically if I wanted to put one in my differential to monitor that temp for example and I didn't want to install another gauge, anyway can view it on my PC?
Again, you will need hardware to support any software that will read TC's.

6) How big of a processor would I need to say re flash data and listen to music or watch a movie at the same time?
Not sure, but I would think given the limited screen resolution and viewable display, that you wouldn't do too much multi-tasking on a carputer.

Not sure if I am getting my questions clearly out there. I guess the end is that I would want to be able to monitor, log, and tune on the fly. Any opinions, suggestions, ideas? Thanks.
For what you're looking to do, EFILive V2, Road Runner PCM, and a GTech RR will get you 95% of what you're looking for. You will still need a PC of some sort, but with this set up, a desktop would do you.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow thanks for taking some mega time to answer my questions.
The end result would be to minimize the amount of different systems needed to operated all of these different functions. I doubt there is actually a plug and play piece of hardware for a PC that would give G readings, and that can be made mobile easily etc. And in regards to viewing the sensor readings, I was wanting to stay away from the handheld and view it directly through the monitor, but I think you made a lot of sense TA quickness when you said that it would be hard to multi task like that on the size of the carputer screen. Thinking more on it now, if I can log data and view it off of the screen every now and then that would be sufficient for sure and then just have the EFI in the glove box ready to go when I want to put it up on the dash to view the readings.

That is good information, now I see what is realistic out of trying to do something like this. I'll have to do some pricing around and see what some of this will cost. Seems pretty interesting to try

Going to run a few searches on the road runner, see what kind of experiences people have had with them. Read about it GMHT, I know they are a little pricey.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by macca_779
Can be done no problems at all. A mate of mine has this capability in his UTE. Get a Road Runner PCM so that you can do real real time tuning. Also thermocouples can be hooked straight up to the EFI LIVE V2 and logged via the scan tool.
That is good to hear! Does it seem to make things less complicated or does the overall complexity of the thing make it a pain?

Quick Reply: Carputer tuning