PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuners/Superchips question......

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPTuners/Superchips question......

I'm going to be installing some exhaust from the exhaust manifolds back and the cats that are going on are gutted........

I want to make sure that I don't get a SES light because of this so the person that I am getting them from is going to delete/disable to trouble codes that could arise from this........

I currently have a Superchips tune on the car from the handheld programmer.........

In order for all of this to work without messing anything up do I need to put my car back to stock tune, and then have him use his HPTuners to delete/disable the trouble codes for emissions, and then plug my Superchips programmer back in and reload the tune on it???

I've been told that if I were to just have him delete the codes that my Superchips tuner would no longer be able to add/remove the tune because the tune it installed has been altered......

Thanks in advance for any help
-James
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody???

14 views, no response
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

I would just have fine tune it with Hptuners and sell the handheld unit.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8tsixt
I would just have fine tune it with Hptuners and sell the handheld unit.
That's not an option........

The guy that has the HPTuners hasn't got into enough to properly tune the vehicle beyond the basic stuff.........

My only options right now are:
1. Go back to stock.....Have him remove the emissions CEL codes......Then put my Superchips tune back on if that will work......I've been told that the Superchips tune will overide the deleted CEL codes and It won't do me any good.........

2. Forget about the whole HPtuners thing all together and just hope the SES light doesn't come on from the gutted cats..........If it does then I would have to pay for a complete HPTuners tune from a shop 2 hours from me....

3. Leave my Superchips tune on.......Have him remove the CEL codes from that tune..........But, I've been told that if I do that then my Superchips programmer wont work anymore becz it's VIN locked and the tune it has on there will have changed........

I want to clarify if all the information I currently have is correct and if it is what is the best overall option.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about superchips. But when we loaded a custom tune onto a predator then tried to reflash the pcm(WHICH ALREAD HAD A TUNE ON IT) it messed it all up and then we had to get the PCM reset and start all over. That was a big pain in the ***. I'm just worried if you pull your superchips tune then add an HPT tune when you try to reflash with superchip you'll be SOL. If it does work you'll still get a CEL because the superchips tune uses the trailing o2s.
So here's your options.
1--See if someone can give you a custom tune on your superchips. Not sure if it's available or not.
2--Sell the superchips and learn how to use the HPT.
3--Try to retrieve the superchips tune with HPT then delete your o2s etc, reflash with pcm tune back to stock with superchips. Use HPT to upload the superchips file you just modified and you'll be set.
4--Best idea--take it to a shop and have it professionally tuned until you feel comfortable with HPT
Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
I don't know about superchips. But when we loaded a custom tune onto a predator then tried to reflash the pcm(WHICH ALREAD HAD A TUNE ON IT) it messed it all up and then we had to get the PCM reset and start all over. That was a big pain in the ***. I'm just worried if you pull your superchips tune then add an HPT tune when you try to reflash with superchip you'll be SOL. If it does work you'll still get a CEL because the superchips tune uses the trailing o2s.
So here's your options.
1--See if someone can give you a custom tune on your superchips. Not sure if it's available or not.
2--Sell the superchips and learn how to use the HPT.
3--Try to retrieve the superchips tune with HPT then delete your o2s etc, reflash with pcm tune back to stock with superchips. Use HPT to upload the superchips file you just modified and you'll be set.
4--Best idea--take it to a shop and have it professionally tuned until you feel comfortable with HPT

Cool, Thank you........

I think what I'll do for now is just stick with the Superchips tune and then down the road get it professionally tuned with HPTuners or whatever else......

The Superchips corrects my speedo for my 4.10 gears, removes the skip shift, and a couple other things.........

Will my SES light come on due to the gutted cats?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1>*
Cool, Thank you........

I think what I'll do for now is just stick with the Superchips tune and then down the road get it professionally tuned with HPTuners or whatever else......

The Superchips corrects my speedo for my 4.10 gears, removes the skip shift, and a couple other things.........

Will my SES light come on due to the gutted cats?
Yes it will. But you can remove skip shift, and do a gear change with HPT as well.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:59 AM
TECH Junkie

If you don't want to invest into a full tuning suite, you could pick up a set of O2 sims to avoid the SES from the gutted cats.