PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altenator not charging but tests good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Altenator not charging but tests good?

I just had my altenator off because my 00 c5 is reading charging error on the dash. It is not charging my battery at all! Just put the motor back in my car and trying to work this small problem out but am stumped! I took the alt. to autozone and let them test it and it passed all tests but when on the car it does nothing. Any ideas? all fuses are good. Not sure what to do or think so hopefully someone here can help me out!

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a single pin connector on top or side of the alternator. If this is not connected or has a poor connection, the alternator will not hold a charge.

Sometimes bench testing is not 100% accurate because it does not simulate a full or true load on the component leading to false assumptions the component is good. If all else fails, bring the car to a shop that can perform a load test on the charging system with the components installed. This test is more accurate and can help pinpoint the problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While the engine is running, test the wire going to the alternator from the pcm. It should have around 10 volts. This is what tells the alternator to charge.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A C5 has three wires going to the plug on it. One is a constant hot coming from a fusible link (pretty sure it's pin "B".. but it's been a while) that sources power from the starter's post. Check that for power, if the link is blown or the wire pulled loose from the starter the alt. wont charge.

Have you installed headers or had the starter off the car?