Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on s-10 extreme

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light on s-10 extreme

I have a 2002 s-10 extreme with a powerdyne supercharger installed and I'm getting a set of codes.
1st is a 101 mass/volume air flow circuit range / perf
2nd is 155 heated oxy sensor heater circuit (bank 2, sensor 1)

my ? is can the cat. converter cause the 101 code because I'm getting a large sulfur smell (which usually means the conv.) when I get out of the truck, and its missing while driving down the road at random, the power just falls off. I'm wondering if the conv. is causing back pressure and setting the code on the mass air.
Also my plugs are probably gaped to big I plan on getting a new set this week and gapping them at .040 to .045 in stead of the factory spec and I'm thinking on putting in a MSD coil to help the spark. any input will be nice.
And can it cause the O2 hit or is it just the heater that is bad and I need to replace the sensor.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i highly doubt the p0101 code could be caused by a bad cat. the most likely thing is that the maf is bad. i have seen a few go bad on those (if yours is a v6 i'm assuming) in the past, esp. high mileage ones. if you can access a scanner, look at the grams/second reading and make sure the number goes up with throttle position. the o2 sensor code could be caused by a bad cat., esp. since you mentioned a sulfur smell and a stumble/lack of power. might try tapping on it to see if the material inside is broken/loose. if that's ok maybe try hooking up a vaccuum gauge to your intake and see if the reading falls when you hit the gas. or it could just be a bad o2 sensor. again, a scan tool should show if your sensor is switching as it should.