Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning ve with new hp tuner- issues in sd mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning ve with new hp tuner- issues in sd mode

I have been reading help docs and the forums for awile as i am new to tuning. I have used what i found to get me started and i have changed all the settings that needed changed for my setup(gears, 160 stat, egr and air delete, rear o2 codes) except the air/fuel tuning- which just so happens to be the most difficult I have followed the basic tuning instructions and found a snag. I am trying to tune ve using the forced SD mode, log the data and apply histogram settings to the ve table. When i forced the car to SD and started/ran it it was surging and died everytime i stoped the car it also ran very awkward. needless to say this way of tuning may not work. I have log files of my data with a stock tune and the car doesnt run all that bad but i know that ve and fuel is off due to my mods(in signature) and has starting( have to give some gas for about 5 secs at first or it dies) and coming to stop issues(surges) but doesnt die. This was more then obvious when using the stock SD mode. The maf must have been doing its job because the car drives awful without it. I know the hotcam is a pain to tune anyways but does anyone have any suggestions on what to change or how to tune this another way? I have a wideband (AEM not hooked to tuner). can i tune by logging the data and applying the histogram data to ve with the maf enabled? and is there a way someone new to tuning can check maf accuracy with hptuners. I apologize if this has been gone over many times, im new to it, and could not find an answer(that was not a 1 page math formula) I did all the work on my car but tuning is not my strength.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post your current tune that is setup for SD and running poorly.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

I posted it on the hp tune repository under this username that is the exact tune i used to put it in SD mode(its stock VE) except i had changed the low spark table to match the high octane. I had also changed the maf fail to 0. I verified the code was present and disconnected the maf. car ran poorly and died at every stop after this. It did idle though. Car runs well with the maf on and drives with no stalling but still needs VE tuned and some starting issues(dies if you dont give it gas for the first 5secs warm or cold)and a little drive surge at low rpm in gear or at a stoplight tuned out. tune may not be up yet i just posted it.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Instead of adding 15% across the whole VE table, try adding 5-7%
Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't look like its in the repository yet, would you mind posting the file here using the manage attachments feature?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you tune you should have a Wideband O2 sensor. If you dont have get one.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

ok i seem to have the idle tuned fairly well and it doesnt want to die when in gear now still doesnt always wanna start and stay running without some help for the first few seconds... - i used a sd tune on a similar setup to get me goin in the right direction. I do have a AEM wideband and it shows similar results as the 02's do during cruise ect. It is not hooked up to the tuner though its just hooked to the gauge. Here is my issue. The car seems to run pretty strong now but my fuel trims during cruise and idle still seem off no matter what i do. now that i have the VE table at least close to where it should be the wideband hovers around 14.6-15.5 and the idle around 15.5-16.5 but i cannot seem to get them any lower... WOT a/f is right around 12.5-13 any suggestions or anyone willing to look at my log/tune files? btw my maf is descreened on top of all the mods listed and im sure its off a little... anyway with the hp tuner and logger to get the accuracy right?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Banned

To me, its just sounds like your not getting enough fuel at idle. WOT sounds fine, but you need to add for fuel to the cells that control the idle. Try multiplying times 1.1 for starters and go from there....you will need to do LOTS of logging if you want your SD tune to be right....
Old 05-17-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1...Try to increase idle airflow and get some more fuel in at idle. If it is OL go for high 13's idle eg 13.8:1.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

You really need to get your WB reading's logged with the rest of your data in order to make accurate adjustments to your tune.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hymey
+1...Try to increase idle airflow and get some more fuel in at idle. If it is OL go for high 13's idle eg 13.8:1.

Why?, There is nothing wrong with idling at 14:7, 15 or even 16:1, there is nothing wrong with cruising at 14 or so, there is no load on the motor so it is fine, In fact this will give you better mileage. But of course at WOT you do want to be the the high 12 to low 13;s in a/f, i.e 12.9.1 to 13.1
Old 05-18-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get that wide band into your HP tuners. You already have pro version so no biggie to do. Also, make sure you reset the fuel trims before you start logging. I'm learning myself and forgot to reset the fuel trims for the first few minutes once and car ran like crap. Reset them and it smoothed up a bunch. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its all speculation until we can see a tune and runlog with all pertinent pids.
The runlog should go from a cold start up to fully warmed, with regular driving involved.

Quick Reply: tuning ve with new hp tuner- issues in sd mode