PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light Code Help (I have the code)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Light Code Help (I have the code)

Hey guys just wanted to start this out by saying sorry if this info is somewhere but I looked and couldn't find a place that actually told me what the code means and what I need to do. If there is, just point me in the right direction.

Here is the situation. I just bought a 02 SS yesterday. Drove her home and everything, no light. Started the car up this morning, no light and then later today the Service Engine Soon light came on. We ran a code finder/programmer, not a great one just your basic advanced auto one, and the code P0430 came up. It says "Catalyst Efficeincy Below Threshold (Bank 2)". Anyone know what that means and what I have to do/change? We are thinking a O2 sensor, but we are not sure. The light went off, but came back on tonight so idk. Any help you guys can give me would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok looked around more and it looks like I'm right about the O2 sensors. What are the chances that it is the O2 sensor versus the cat completely?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Read this thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/868977-code-420-cats-questions-options.html
Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike s.
Ok thanks man. So it should be the O2 sensor on the passenger side downstream of the cat? Also, if it is not the O2 sensor will GM put in a new cat for free? The car is a 02 SS, but has 91k. I just bought it yesterday, but I wouldn't think that would matter if they would do it or not. Also, it read two codes, but both were the same, any idea what that could mean? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Launching!

The code reading twice means it set more than once, that is all. Talk to a GM dealer about the factory cat replacement, that one may be a battle.

Yes, it is the sensor downstream of the cat, passenger side. If that is the only code setting, clear it, swap sensors downstream of the cats between banks, and see if it sets again the same. If it does, it may be the cat, if the other bank sets, its probably the sensor.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks. I'll try that and see if it works. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

just put some headers and get your rear ones turned off .... thats a good start!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking bad cat, rarely it's the post cat 02. 10yrs/120K warranty on the 00-02 F cars.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daryn c
just put some headers and get your rear ones turned off .... thats a good start!
I will eventually get headers but I have to pay for the car first so I need to get this fixed for now. I would like to get and not have to worry about fixing it, but can't.

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
I'm thinking bad cat, rarely it's the post cat 02. 10yrs/120K warranty on the 00-02 F cars.
So do you think I should try the O2 first though? Also it doesn't matter that I'm not the original owner of the car for the warranty on the cat right?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greg_74
So do you think I should try the O2 first though? Also it doesn't matter that I'm not the original owner of the car for the warranty on the cat right?
Do the O2 sensor swap that we discussed earlier first, I would not recommend just buying a sensor and plugging it in. If that is not the problem, you just wasted cash.

You do not have to be the original owner to qualify for the cat replacement, I am the second owner and I got the service bulletin directly, it is 10yrs, or 120,000 miles, whichever is first. Talk to your dealer and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM

guys im a service manager at a dealer, and you could be the fifth owner of the car and its covered!! Bank 2, sensor 2 is the post cat O2 and its directly related to the P0430
Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the O2 sensor swap that we discussed earlier first, I would not recommend just buying a sensor and plugging it in. If that is not the problem, you just wasted cash.

You do not have to be the original owner to qualify for the cat replacement, I am the second owner and I got the service bulletin directly, it is 10yrs, or 120,000 miles, whichever is first. Talk to your dealer and let us know how it goes.
So how would I put in a new O2 sensor to see if that is it first if you don't suggest buying one?

Originally Posted by MarcouxTA
guys im a service manager at a dealer, and you could be the fifth owner of the car and its covered!! Bank 2, sensor 2 is the post cat O2 and its directly related to the P0430
So you are saying all I should need is a O2 sensor then right? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greg_74
So how would I put in a new O2 sensor to see if that is it first if you don't suggest buying one?
You are only getting one code, off of bank two. The downstream O2 sensor (sensor 2) is the sensor that sets the code. Sometimes that sensor is bad, setting the code, sometimes the catalytic converter is actually bad setting the code. To test, and this would only work with one code set on one side, is to swap the other side's bank one, sensor 2 sensor into bank 2 sensor 2's O2 bung. If the code sets the same, P0430, then you will know the cat is probably bad since it set twice the same using two different sensors. If the sensor is bad, switching from its original place, B2 S2, to B1 S2, will set the code on bank 1, which is P0420. Does that make any sense?

At this point I would go to the dealer and have it checked, worst case they hold onto your car for a few days, and you get new parts.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 AM

a quick way to give you a rough idea about the cats condition is to give it a mild run to temperature, than check the temp of the cat should be 300-500 degrees. than make a rick misfire (pull 1 or 2 plug wires off) the temp of the car should sky rocket 650-800 might even glow orange!! if it doesnt change, your car kicked the bucket!!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You are only getting one code, off of bank two. The downstream O2 sensor (sensor 2) is the sensor that sets the code. Sometimes that sensor is bad, setting the code, sometimes the catalytic converter is actually bad setting the code. To test, and this would only work with one code set on one side, is to swap the other side's bank one, sensor 2 sensor into bank 2 sensor 2's O2 bung. If the code sets the same, P0430, then you will know the cat is probably bad since it set twice the same using two different sensors. If the sensor is bad, switching from its original place, B2 S2, to B1 S2, will set the code on bank 1, which is P0420. Does that make any sense?

At this point I would go to the dealer and have it checked, worst case they hold onto your car for a few days, and you get new parts.
Ok it might have to wait because I'm on spring break right now and the car will be in put away and not driven until the first of May so I will probably take it to the dealer then. It shouldn't hurt anything to do that right? I'll talk to the guys I know that know about cars about it.

Last edited by greg_74; 03-14-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Launching!

I would think not, it would be fine to drive to the dealer later on. Sounds like you got it figured out.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:36 PM

ya driving with that code will only give you poor fuel econo. You will be fine taking it to the dealer,but talk to them about your cat!! ask them how long the warr on the cat is and thats what you think it is. it might save you a few donero!!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarcouxTA
ya driving with that code will only give you poor fuel econo. You will be fine taking it to the dealer,but talk to them about your cat!! ask them how long the warr on the cat is and thats what you think it is. it might save you a few donero!!
You think I should take it to the dealer for the cat first before I try the O2 then?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Launching!

I would say yes, if the cat is bad and a factory replacement is the route you are going to go. Only mess with the O2 sensor if you really want to find out for sure on your own. I don't think they will charge you for time to look at it even if its just the sensor, but be sure to ask.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say yes, if the cat is bad and a factory replacement is the route you are going to go. Only mess with the O2 sensor if you really want to find out for sure on your own. I don't think they will charge you for time to look at it even if its just the sensor, but be sure to ask.
Ok thanks man. My dad is going to call the guy he knows at a GM place and talk to him about it on Monday. The car is sitting in the garage since I go back to school tomorrow, so in the beginning of May when I'm done with school we will get everything fixed and I'll let you know what it was. Thanks for the help.