Sponsored by:

Tune to bypass O2 sensors to pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune to bypass O2 sensors to pass emissions

Hey Guys,

First off, this site is great, very helpful. I bought a 98' TransAm a couple weeks ago in FL and the guy who owned it put SLP LT's on it with no cats. He claimed he had sims installed, but they didn't work for long. So now the engine light is on and will not pass NY emissions. I read a few suggestions on this site and the most popular was to have someone tune out the O2 sensors so the light goes out. The ? I have is will the OBDII inspection pick up that the sensors have been bypassed, possibly failing the car. NY has emissions and test it with OBDII connection. (No sniffer test). The second ? is what effect does not having O2 sensors and cats have on performance of the vehicle and am I hurting anything on the car?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

You aren't hurting anything the way it is. Just get someone to tune that stuff out. They can turn the light out but make sure they set the dtc to no error reported. Otherwise the smog cops will still get you. Do you not have a visusal inspection? You may have to put cats on for that.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Wink

There is a visual inspection in NY. Lets just say all the safety stuff, E-brake
tires, all lights....... As long as that stuff checks out, my buddy doesn't have a problem passing it. Lets face it, NY (or any other state) put Inspections in place for safety reasons so Joe Retard with a leaking caliper doesn't run into you when trying to stop for a Stop sign. Nowadays the state is more concerned with taking your cash.

Quick Reply: Tune to bypass O2 sensors to pass emissions