Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning DVD or help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
.......If you will take the time to research, you will find EFI University get's very in depth with tuning LSx vehicles. They offer courses for everyone from the green beginner to the seasoned pro......
I've taken EFI 101, EFI Advanced, and EFILive-101 at EFI University and I can absolutely state with certainty they are easily worth the money. The EFILive course was good, but mainly focused on software features. Justin Gadburry taught the class and is very knowledgable. This course went into a little bit of how the tables are applied, but not to tuning strategy or methods. It's a good class, but the only way to really learn is with seat time.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 04-26-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bob@thetuningschool.com
So true Bluehawk, Knowledge is priceless!!

Just to add a little detail for those who are new to us - our learn @ home course is completely HP Tuners based, includes the Tuning Tree (map of table locations), tuning checklists (for bolt on/Heads&cam/Forced Induction or Nitrous) and a full 200 page color workbook that has actual screen shots, descriptions of how/why/how to adjust the tables.

In addition to this step by step structure, we include one full year of free support - which means you can actually pick up the phone and call us, email the file and go over your problem. You also get to use our private forum for customers only, located at www.thetuningschool.com

Thanks!
Bob

I read through the book and it's good in concept but when you really look at it you guys should really rethink the structure.. IMO.. I have only been tuning for a couple of years but what I didnt like about the basic book was that it didnt give you enough information to actually tune a car. Not even a bolt on car imo..

From everything that I have ever heard you start tuning ve and maf and then go to the pe. If not your pe will never be inconsistent because of fuel the ve table may add. However in your basic book you dont give instructions for tuning either. And you dont know until you buy the basic but you have to buy the intermediate book to be able to do that.. Which isnt out yet. And cost 400 more dollars. So to actually get a good tune you have to pay 400 for your basic and then wait untill the intermediate comes out.. Send in a tune so you guys can check it and then pay 400 more... However after all that it should be in good tuned condition..

Im not bashing you guys an any way.. I just think its a bit misleading the way your selling it.

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 04-26-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: spelt some words wrong
Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Actually, we structured it that way on purpose. Through testing with novices, we found the best way to get them started (thus the beginners course) and then move them through with the intermediate later.

Your statement about what you have read on doing the MAF and VE is ok - but only half way. PE will remain stable, VE is only used for transitional (sometimes) and we explain that in more detail later. We have a different view of MAF than most internet junk you would read. MAF is something most people want to just jump into and start tweaking because they read it on the internet, but the truth is it's a calibrated airflow measuring device. All you do by fudging the MAF tables (in order to fix something else, is the theorie) is incorrect and can screw up other calculations as a result. I'm sure there are a people who do this, but screwing up calibrated sensors isn't the right way to get the job done. To further clarify - yes there is a time and place to adjust this BUT it's normally with a new sensor and required table. That's really the right way (as explained in the upcoming intermediate course) not fudging a stock sensor to your liking.

Also to answer your question about money needed to learn the MAF/VE stuff, we offer that free after the student has gone through the basics (no need to buy intermediate).

If you are already advanced enough to understand all the concepts well in the beginners section you need to email the file to help@thetuningschool.com and we will then give you the info you need on MAF and VE free.

It's our way of ensuring people are not progressing without having the basics down first. The reality is that we care enough to have people email their file, and then give more information so we know they are good - you would not believe the stuff I have seen, and we do this as a result. If you would like more info please feel free to email me or give me a call, we are always here to help.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by bob@thetuningschool.com; 04-26-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Then I totally got the wrong information about you guys then. My buddy bought your book and asked my to look over it and help him with it while he tuned his car using it.. It is very helpful to someone who has never tuned before. However apparently my friend got the wrong information from someone he talked to at you guys place. They told him totally opposite of what you just told me. From what they told him he would have to purchase the other book to be able to tune the VE which would cost another 400.. Im sure you agree that to have a properly tuned car you need to work on the VE a good bit as you mention above. And in the case that you cleared this up I would recommend the book to any new tuner. I wish it would have been out when I started..

However I think you guys would do better to offer an intermediate without having to buy the basic.. Maybe take in a tune and see if they are ready to take that step.. I know all the tables in the basic but there are a lot of other tables im still interested in that I cant find answers about on the forums.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

I have heard both ways of tuning with and without changing the MAF and I know Im not near advanced enough to know whats good and bad about either way.

Do you guys plan on mayble having an outline on what the intermediate covers? And will there be an advanced?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Talking

No problem, sorry for the confusion. We will be writing this more clearly in the beginners course so there is no confusion in the future. Please let your friend know he can call me if he has any questions as well. Also about the intermediate, we may do a test if you want to bypass the beginners.

Also we will be putting up an outline of the beginners and intermediate soon, so as to help people decide what fits them best.

Thanks
Bob

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Then I totally got the wrong information about you guys then. My buddy bought your book and asked my to look over it and help him with it while he tuned his car using it.. It is very helpful to someone who has never tuned before. However apparently my friend got the wrong information from someone he talked to at you guys place. They told him totally opposite of what you just told me. From what they told him he would have to purchase the other book to be able to tune the VE which would cost another 400.. Im sure you agree that to have a properly tuned car you need to work on the VE a good bit as you mention above. And in the case that you cleared this up I would recommend the book to any new tuner. I wish it would have been out when I started..

However I think you guys would do better to offer an intermediate without having to buy the basic.. Maybe take in a tune and see if they are ready to take that step.. I know all the tables in the basic but there are a lot of other tables im still interested in that I cant find answers about on the forums.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Launching!

some of the tunning stuff is outrageous on there pricing.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by night ryder
some of the tunning stuff is outrageous on there pricing.
Just about every decent class I've seen is still less than the cost of a destroyed engine. You get what you pay for in most cases, and a $100.00 "class" rarely teaches much. If you're serious about learning to tune with the proper approach, the cost of a good class is a screaming bargain compared to the endless hours of lost time fumbling through it on your own. Nobody will stop you from doing it the hard way though...