PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

hptuner tuning ve via wideband question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008 | 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default hptuner tuning ve via wideband question

How long did it take you build you VE table ?

I put 65 miles of driving today and maybe rebuilt 10 to 15 percent of my ve table to within -/+ 3.
How long did it take you?

What to you recommend for getting all the cells? riding a gear thru the rpm band?
Old 04-23-2008 | 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Unless you have a load bearing dyno and a manual transmission, it takes a long time to get everything right. Some cells are impossible to hit, but some are merely seldom used (but necessary). Also, tweaking your IATvsECT bias will take a lot of trial and error to get things right for varying weather. Have patience, as VE tuning can be almost as fun (and almost as dangerous) as racing if done on the street.
Old 04-24-2008 | 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
Unless you have a load bearing dyno and a manual transmission, it takes a long time to get everything right. Some cells are impossible to hit, but some are merely seldom used (but necessary). Also, tweaking your IATvsECT bias will take a lot of trial and error to get things right for varying weather. Have patience, as VE tuning can be almost as fun (and almost as dangerous) as racing if done on the street.
I have a 6speed and just got a call from a buddy yesterday extending me an opputunity to get on the dyno for $200 to tune my tables, but due to another priority I might not be able to make it.

So I will have to tune on the street, there a few good areas in my neighborhood with long straight roads and no traffic.

Can I use brakes to put some load on the motor to hit some of the cells hard to reach under regular conditions? no hills here in Florida.
Old 04-24-2008 | 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Long pulls at varying TPS positions are what you're looking for. Empty highway or country roads are ideal. With my M6 I've been able to tune 50-60% of my table within 30-40min drive time doing just that.

Where I get stuck is tuning VE past 4000RPM. No solution for that yet...

HTH,
-Eagle
Old 04-24-2008 | 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maxgee
I have a 6speed and just got a call from a buddy yesterday extending me an opputunity to get on the dyno for $200 to tune my tables, but due to another priority I might not be able to make it.

So I will have to tune on the street, there a few good areas in my neighborhood with long straight roads and no traffic.

Can I use brakes to put some load on the motor to hit some of the cells hard to reach under regular conditions? no hills here in Florida.

sure you can load the car up with the brakes, just try to be very steady with the throttle and transition around slowly.