Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autotap VS. EFIlive scan

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Autotap VS. EFIlive scan

Does anyone have any real world experience with both programs that could shed some light on which would be the better choice. The enhanced version of autotap is damn near the same price as the scan only version of EFILive. I dont see much of a difference between the 2 other than the layout. I have no need to be able to tune, as it is way beyond my level of comprehension, so no need for the buy "tuning software" responses.

Jack
Old 05-09-2008, 04:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Autotap for years. I don't like it for multiple reasons:
The graphing function of logged data is unreliable, so much that I don't even try to use it any more. I just export the data and graph in Excel.
If you disconnect or turn the engine off while it is running, it goes berserk and crashes, sometimes taking the O/S with it.
You can't import any other sensors, such as AFR data (a biggie for tuning )
A few minor quibbles, but the biggie for me is:
They apparently have not updated it in many years. I tried the version that came with it, and it sucked big time. I then downloaded the "beta" version that has been posted for years, and it fixed quite a few of the issues. But they never moved it from beta to production, and never released any more updates.
If there was another application that would do something similar, has current support, and lets you import the AFR data, I would say go for it.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both & use both.

I only use AutoTap for checking and resetting DTC's on non-GM vehicles. Very rarely will I bother with trying to create a log with AutoTap.

There is really no comparison, EFILive's scan tool is light years ahead of any other scanner on the market.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
AVB
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the output of the scanner only version can be used by the EFILive tuner software and they correlate, that's a huge plus in my book.

With the scanner/tuner of efilive, you can mark something on the scan and open up the tuner to see where exactly, in various parts of the tune, what has a role in the output you see. That's been extremely helpful to me in just understanding the relationships of all those thousands of parameters.

Hopefully, someone who's tried it out there can confirm.

Arnel
Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I have used AT for a long time. When I first got it it was on floppy discs. I have never had problems with the graphing. One thing I like about AT is that it is super easy to set up gauges or just monitor functions graphically. It takes alot more work to do the same in EFI-Live plus you can monitor many more vehicles than with EFI-Live.

I will stick to EFI-Live any day....
Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is exactly the type of input I was looking for! Thanks for all the responses, I am leaning heavily towards EFILive scan.

Jack
Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've used both, and the EFI live is the one I would buy.

autotap is only good for running the older versions of efilive that used the autotap cable.

Ryan
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before EFILive, Autotap was the best out there (it was the only one). Autotap uses very early EFILive software. I upgraded from Autotap to EFILive years ago. EFILive is the best logging software I have ever used.

Bill