PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very fustrating --> whats wrong with my SD tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have painfully aware of that. However, still, no one has been able to answer my original post. I dont care if you have NASA on your side, why did my changes of 10% make no difference in my data logs? Then another 10% change and still no change to FTC 6 in particular. I understand that this is not a linear process; there are several variables that make up the VE value that we are editting.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
I have painfully aware of that. However, still, no one has been able to answer my original post. I dont care if you have NASA on your side, why did my changes of 10% make no difference in my data logs? Then another 10% change and still no change to FTC 6 in particular. I understand that this is not a linear process; there are several variables that make up the VE value that we are editting.
Adjusting + or - 10% should affect the fuel trims regardless of your method. Are you're sure you adjusting the correct rpm vs kPa (MAP) cells?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, I am positive, but it is always advisable to double check. My data logs show FTC, MAP, RPM, LTFTs, STFTs, etc. And I know where the divisions are between the FTCs.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc99SS
I flashed this new program onto the PCM. Disconnected the MAF sensor. Drive the car around and data logged...
If this is still the method you're using, you're going to continue to have trouble regardless of flashing software used.

First, unless you've rewired the IAT sensor to be separate from the MAF, the PCM doesn't see it when you unplug the MAF. A lack of IAT input will make any attempt at accurate speed density calculations futile.

Second, recording transient data from simply "driving around" gives you lots of misleading measurements. You should really try to take steady state recordings at each speed-load breakpoint in the VE table if possible. This is much easier to do on a load bearing dyno than on the street where you have to worry about traffic, safety, and other unforeseen events.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by turbolx
First, unless you've rewired the IAT sensor to be separate from the MAF, the PCM doesn't see it when you unplug the MAF. A lack of IAT input will make any attempt at accurate speed density calculations futile.
Good point to mention here. Also are you logging for 10 minute drives or longer sessions? Just out of my own curiousity.

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 05-27-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx

I believe hes tuning the car in his sig. Fbody doesnt have an integrated IAT.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

response -----> My IAT sensor is in the airlid, I have a '99, the MAF and air temp sensor are separate.

Second, recording transient data from simply "driving around" gives you lots of misleading measurements. You should really try to take steady state recordings at each speed-load breakpoint in the VE table if possible. This is much easier to do on a load bearing dyno than on the street where you have to worry about traffic, safety, and other unforeseen events.[/QUOTE]

response -----> That is exactly what I attempt to do when I datalog, I try to keep the PCM in one FTC at a time, during significant steady state driving in mainly FTC 6, 7, 10, and 11. When I can keep the PCM in one FTC for one minute that FTC is fully learned.

And, I take maybe 20 minute drives, while I am doing this, it is long enough to have the pre-dominant FTCs to fully learn.