PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with BS3 and no injector pulse!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with BS3 and no injector pulse!

I have a 347 inch ls1 with a bs3 computer controlling the engine management, and have recently ran into a problem. The fuel pressure is fine, I have a weldon pump controlling that, I tried a noid light and no pulse with that.

While driving the other day, the car just died and would not restart. I checked the spark and it had spark, so I thought well the cam sensor went bad.

I then changed the cam sensor after I noted the engine would start while putting fuel in the throttle body.

So I changed the sensor and it still will not start.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar problem and what they did to fix it?

Thank You in advance.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Are you using the cam and crank sensors? Are you getting an output/signal from the crank sensor?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:25 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you do the sync test to see if the BS3 is pickign up the cam signal and its moving correctly?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Default sync test

Yes I did the sync test and the ball turns from red to grey and rotates while cranking.

I am basically out of ideas, I am thinking that the injector driver is out of the box.

Any other suggestions on what to try?

I had been talking with John Meaney about this but I think he is out of town, because he has not replied to the e-mail this last time.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Teching In

A friend of mine had a BS3 go bad on the dyno. They told him to buy a new one.

He talked them into looking at it, so they replaced something but it still didn't work. They told him they don't work on them. Made in Germany or something?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by John at J&S
A friend of mine had a BS3 go bad on the dyno. They told him to buy a new one.

He talked them into looking at it, so they replaced something but it still didn't work. They told him they don't work on them. Made in Germany or something?
Thats the funniest thing i've heard all day. Gee I wonder how rumors get started. There might be some components made elsewhere, but the Meaney brothers assemble them here. More than likely, John will need it to check it out. In the meantime you can ohm check the injector harness. You may want to have your injectors checked out as well. If 1 or more is shorted out, it may have burned the driver out.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your grounds. Be absolutely certain that they are 100% good.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Ok I will be sure to go over all the grounds and tripple check everything again.

I just hope this is not a common problem, because I have 2 more of the BS3 systems on my other cars!

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:49 PM
8 Second Club

No not really common, the drivers are very durable, thats why I would make darn sure an injector or harness isn't to blame.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Teching In

I actually do have another set of injectors laying around I will go ahead and check everything, although the injectors that are in it have 1000 miles on them and only 12 dyno pulls. But you never know. they are 95lb precision turbo injectors.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

" I have 2 more of the BS3 systems on my other cars!"
Check the injs to see if they are shorted.. [I've cleaned MANY injs, and test every one for opens/shorts.I'm betting they're not.]
After you confirm the condition of the injs,and B4 you send the ecm to John, change one of the others to this car, and see WTF happens???
Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Teching In

I had thought the same thing, but the other bs3 computers are both non ls1 configuration and I do not have the password to change them so I could do that.

That is what I would like to do even before I send this one in!!
Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Default Problem Solved!!

Well I went over all of the wiring on the whole thing, I did find the problem when I decided to change the battery and just try a different one.

Acutally the ground was loose where the bs3 computer grounds to the battery! I couldn't believe it but there it was!!!

Thank You for all the help!!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Check your grounds. Be absolutely certain that they are 100% good.

Originally Posted by pt76jon
Acutally the ground was loose where the bs3 computer grounds to the battery! I couldn't believe it but there it was!!!

Thank You for all the help!!

You're welcome!
Old 06-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Teching In

veee8:

Why didn't they repair it when they had it in hand?

My friend said "a tech guy" told him they replaced a driver but went on to say there was still something wrong with it.

The box was returned non functional.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

I am sure there is more to the story than what is given, maybe the motherboard is damaged beyond repair, and would require a new ecm altogether, and your buddy didn't want to pony up $1500 for a new one, I could understand that. If the fuel pump or fan circuits are not wired correctly and through proper relays, it can do some serious damage. Maybe there was a harness problem.
But I do know this, if your buddy wants to get rid of the box, I will take it off his hands. There isn't a huge tech department at BS3 with hundreds of employees. It is a few brothers with a ton of knowledge and resources. They don't sell direct to the public, but through a network of dealers, Precision Turbo is one of their largest. and their tech dept. leaves a lot to be desired, especially with the BS3 stuff.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Teching In

veee8:

I will see if my friend wants to check in.
Attached Thumbnails Problem with BS3 and no injector pulse!-bs31.jpg  
Old 06-09-2008, 05:14 PM
8 Second Club

You guys can PM me if you want.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 AM

Default Problem with BS3; the facts.

Originally Posted by veee8
Thats the funniest thing i've heard all day. Gee I wonder how rumors get started. There might be some components made elsewhere, but the Meaney brothers assemble them here.
Hi,

New guy here. Please allow me to apologize in advance if my etiquette is incorrect, but I just want to set the facts straight with this and nip any rumors in the bud.

I am the guy who smoked the BS3 on the Dyno.

Here are the facts.

Purchased a BS3 for a customer’s engine build.

Installed the BS3 on the engine, on the Dyno.

Spent some time trouble shooting as to why the BS3 would not work / engine would not run.

Called dealer were I purchased the BS3. Great customer support and very helpful. Even called me back late in the evening.

Ran some more test with the BS3 as per instructions of the dealer. Final determination was the BS3 coil driver was probably toast. This was probably due to my error and not the BS3.

Called John M. at BS3 and obtained info. to send until back for inspection / evaluation / repair.

Fed-Ex’ed BS3 to Michigan.

Inspection determined that coil driver chip was toast and maybe also the MicroP. BS3 replaced the coil driver chip, but the unit was still DOA. At that time my options were to purchase a new unit as I was informed that board level repair of the MicroP was not possible. The unit could be sent back to Germany for board level repair to replace the Micro but this could take many months. Note; allow me to say that John M at BS3 was very helpful but he could not offer any other option.

I did some checking and calling around. I called John P, a long time friend and asked if he could help me out and possibly look at some board level repair of the BS3 MicroP. He said yes. I called John M. at BS3 and [very nicely] explained the situation and asked if he would be willing to sell me a new MicroP and I would attempt to facilitate the board level repair. Guess what? He complied. Again, my hat is off to John at BS3 as I understand that you will not find many, if any companies who would agree to send along a MicroP and allow a customer to attempt this type of repair. But, what the heck, what is my down-side? In one case, I am already into a new BS3 or at best, having some luck and repairing the damaged BS3.

Got the MicroP from BS3 and sent the parts to John P to see if we could salvage the BS3. John P got the new MicroP installed and I sent the unit back to BS3 for testing and programming. John M at BS3 informed me that the unit was still dead and he did not know what was wrong.

Time was running out so I contacted a local BS3 dealer and sent my customer in his direction. The customer purchased a new BS3 from the local dealer. The local dealer installed the BS3 on the engine / dyno. The new until was having issues also and was finally removed and a different brand of ECU was installed. The engine made some good pulls and was properly tuned. Customer happy.

Closing details. I was not at the party when the new BS3 was installed on the dyno so I have no idea as to why the dealer could not get that one running on the engine. Yes, the dealer is a competent guy and has a number of successful BS3 installs under his belt but, who knows and I am not going to make any assumptions regarding the dealer or the BS3. I was not there, so I am not saying anything. I just don’t have any facts.

I am very satisfied with the support I received from the dealer I purchased the BS3 from as well as John M at BS3. No, I am not happy that I have a dead BS3 right now but, as I said, the damage could have been caused by me and not an issue with the quality of the BS3. Electronics can be funny things sometimes and I understand this. I am in no way going to speak poorly about the BS3 or the company because that is just not the facts. Stuff sometimes happens. This is one of those times. Oh well.

That is were we are today. Anybody have any other ideas which may help?

Many thanks,

Ray
Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ray S
Hi,

New guy here. Please allow me to apologize in advance if my etiquette is incorrect, but I just want to set the facts straight with this and nip any rumors in the bud.

I am the guy who smoked the BS3 on the Dyno.

Here are the facts.

Purchased a BS3 for a customer’s engine build.

Installed the BS3 on the engine, on the Dyno.

Spent some time trouble shooting as to why the BS3 would not work / engine would not run.

Called dealer were I purchased the BS3. Great customer support and very helpful. Even called me back late in the evening.

Ran some more test with the BS3 as per instructions of the dealer. Final determination was the BS3 coil driver was probably toast. This was probably due to my error and not the BS3.

Called John M. at BS3 and obtained info. to send until back for inspection / evaluation / repair.

Fed-Ex’ed BS3 to Michigan.

Inspection determined that coil driver chip was toast and maybe also the MicroP. BS3 replaced the coil driver chip, but the unit was still DOA. At that time my options were to purchase a new unit as I was informed that board level repair of the MicroP was not possible. The unit could be sent back to Germany for board level repair to replace the Micro but this could take many months. Note; allow me to say that John M at BS3 was very helpful but he could not offer any other option.

I did some checking and calling around. I called John P, a long time friend and asked if he could help me out and possibly look at some board level repair of the BS3 MicroP. He said yes. I called John M. at BS3 and [very nicely] explained the situation and asked if he would be willing to sell me a new MicroP and I would attempt to facilitate the board level repair. Guess what? He complied. Again, my hat is off to John at BS3 as I understand that you will not find many, if any companies who would agree to send along a MicroP and allow a customer to attempt this type of repair. But, what the heck, what is my down-side? In one case, I am already into a new BS3 or at best, having some luck and repairing the damaged BS3.

Got the MicroP from BS3 and sent the parts to John P to see if we could salvage the BS3. John P got the new MicroP installed and I sent the unit back to BS3 for testing and programming. John M at BS3 informed me that the unit was still dead and he did not know what was wrong.

Time was running out so I contacted a local BS3 dealer and sent my customer in his direction. The customer purchased a new BS3 from the local dealer. The local dealer installed the BS3 on the engine / dyno. The new until was having issues also and was finally removed and a different brand of ECU was installed. The engine made some good pulls and was properly tuned. Customer happy.

Closing details. I was not at the party when the new BS3 was installed on the dyno so I have no idea as to why the dealer could not get that one running on the engine. Yes, the dealer is a competent guy and has a number of successful BS3 installs under his belt but, who knows and I am not going to make any assumptions regarding the dealer or the BS3. I was not there, so I am not saying anything. I just don’t have any facts.

I am very satisfied with the support I received from the dealer I purchased the BS3 from as well as John M at BS3. No, I am not happy that I have a dead BS3 right now but, as I said, the damage could have been caused by me and not an issue with the quality of the BS3. Electronics can be funny things sometimes and I understand this. I am in no way going to speak poorly about the BS3 or the company because that is just not the facts. Stuff sometimes happens. This is one of those times. Oh well.

That is were we are today. Anybody have any other ideas which may help?

Many thanks,

Ray
I had a hunch, the board is beyond reasonable repair, and a new box would be required. It sucks that this happens, especially when it is a $1000+ repair! Very noble of you to set the facts straight right from the horses mouth. I just didn't want some other rumor being started that BS3's were made in Germany or someplace else, (anyone remember the thread about LSX blocks being made in China!) indeed some of the components are made elsewhere. That is inevitable. When everything is followed to a "T" and installed correctly these are fairly trouble free, durable units. If talking directly to John, and his conclusion is that the box screwed, I don't think there is much of an option. It certainly was worth a shot by changing that chip, but the board itself must be wasted. That is the spinal cord of the system. At that point it must be replaced. I am sorry to hear about your troubles, and good luck.

Quick Reply: Problem with BS3 and no injector pulse!