PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean Cruise Tables

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all is meant by the PCM unlocking process? Does this mean that the BIN can not be downloaded by connecting to the microprocessor by other means AKA BCM port or some sort of preprocessor/development board?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
What all is meant by the PCM unlocking process? Does this mean that the BIN can not be downloaded by connecting to the microprocessor by other means AKA BCM port or some sort of preprocessor/development board?
A PCM is "locked" when it is given a non-standard key. The algorithm used to generate the key from the seed given no longer works, so it is not possible to flash it via the DLC under the dash without the new key.

If you can enable BDM, you can always program the flash. If you remove the flash from the circuit board, you can place it in any flash programmer and write to it. These methods are not dependent on the seed and key (which are located in the binary in plaintext).

So the professional tuners that have been doing it this way for a while now are hacks and in the end, the customer is happy b/c their H/C LSx is getting high 20's to 30 MPGs....
Good luck with it all and I hope it is worth it. Does seem cool to unlock it on the other platforms though....if this could be done with the LT1s the market would explode, might could convince me to buy what is needed....
That is one way of doing it, yes. Some of us like to learn how things work and follow the already-implemented procedures to achieve results, while some people are content with a "hack." I am one of the former.

It's actually pretty easy to identify the check provided you have an actual dump of the flash. Calculating the checksum, as discussed, is also simple. The hard part is attaining a raw dump as neither HPT nor EFILive will save in this format.

Does the LT1 have a Lean Cruise option, or were you referring to tuning in general? I would guess that they do not have LC, since the 97/98 LS1 PCMs didn't.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ryansm1
The hard part is attaining a raw dump as neither HPT nor EFILive will save in this format.
Just find someone that still has tons of files from when HPT used to save them as .bins. I'm sure that there are people out there that still have the older versions of HPT (pre V2.0) and serial cables that can still read and write HPT bin files.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryansm1
A PCM is "locked" when it is given a non-standard key. The algorithm used to generate the key from the seed given no longer works, so it is not possible to flash it via the DLC under the dash without the new key.

If you can enable BDM, you can always program the flash. If you remove the flash from the circuit board, you can place it in any flash programmer and write to it. These methods are not dependent on the seed and key (which are located in the binary in plaintext).

That is one way of doing it, yes. Some of us like to learn how things work and follow the already-implemented procedures to achieve results, while some people are content with a "hack." I am one of the former.

It's actually pretty easy to identify the check provided you have an actual dump of the flash. Calculating the checksum, as discussed, is also simple. The hard part is attaining a raw dump as neither HPT nor EFILive will save in this format.

Does the LT1 have a Lean Cruise option, or were you referring to tuning in general? I would guess that they do not have LC, since the 97/98 LS1 PCMs didn't.
gm used these tables for many years back in the 80's they had the disabled lean cruise. just because no one found it in the 97-98 pcm does not mean it's not there. I would guess the lt1 has it at least in some sort of year/combo if not all of them.
don't ask efilive they have no idea.... I have asked them other things in the past and it was clear they really had no clue.

you can make your own interface and download the raw bin. usually there are schematics all over the web. (LS1 specific stuff has been harder to find since so many people used this stuff for $$$ so the guys who did the hard work removed it... but it still is out there) then find a generic software that is compatable for your interface and your set.

I would do this and well if no one has already by the time I get some things done I will)
Old 07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Id look on piratebay for something. I think i saw something along the lines of someone posting some Script files that do it all for you with efilive software... I dont know where they came from nor are they supported by anything or anyone. You will have to look and see how the cax files work. I posted a thread about the cax file extention a bout a year ago on the efilive forum. It is just an add on that allows an end user to add more tables into efilive if they know addresses for tables/things that arent in the software and you want them in.. You just put them into the same folder of the operating system you are wanting to add them to.

Quick Reply: Lean Cruise Tables