PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is it to tune your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how hard is it to tune your car?

i am going to do a cam swap pretty soon and i was looking at the hp tuners and i was wondering how hard is it to tune it after the cam swap?is this something you would recommend or should i get a dyno tune thanks

Last edited by ed6ardo; 10-15-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Cams can be a little tricky. Especially getting them started. After that tuning just takes time and patience. Defintely think its worth doing yourself, if your in for a challenge. You will get a much better tune then letting someone else dyno tune.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what cam? lol i know depending on the cam your tuning the learning curve will be different. redhardsupra hated my donkey dick ms4 cam and asked me if i had ever tuned a smaller cam before....nope LOL first time tuning a cam........ SOOOOO much harder to tune than the 226 was. the more aggressive the cam the harder it is to learn to tune as a first cam.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

I learned on my torquer v3, it was pretty confusing as hell at first. But now I can tune it with my eyes closed. Get a wideband for sure. I recommend a plx, stay away from lc-1.

Just be prepared for quite a bit of a learning curve. And expect it to run like crap at least a few times.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Teching In

thanks man i was actually looking into the torquer v2 it will be my first time doing a tune so i am kind of scared but i am going to do it anyways
Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ed6ardo
i am going to do a cam swap pretty soon and i was looking at the hp tuners and i was wondering how hard is it to tune it after the cam swap?is this something you would recommend or should i get a dyno tune thanks
Tunings easy, LOL. Thats why everyone is doing it!!
The problem with most novice tuners is the lack of a background in the control systems themselves. I've seen alot of 'tuning around' problems, when if they were addressed (whatever the problem may be), they wouldnt need to be 'tuned around'.
Dynoed a car last week, that had a dead cylinder, that was pretty hard to detect. Between tuning and picking up the dead hole, made 110 hp at the wheels. The owner of the car couldnt tell it had a dead hole. The 4 other people standinig around watching couldnt tell.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Tuning is not hard - learning to tune is the difficult part. Even then it's not that bad.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is hard, and there is a steep learning curve. Don't let anyone fool you. The guys that say it's easy either don't know or have been doing it for so long they forgot how hard it was in the beginning. But I'm all about doing it myself so I say go for it. Mine is the first one I have done. It took me a long time but it drives very well now and I've learned alot. Also, a dyno tune alone won't make your car drive like you want it to. It will not have good street maners; it will surge, buck, not idle well, etc... So you will either have to find and pay someone to spend time tuning it for driveability or do it yourself. Just make sure you install a wideband right away.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is harder than clicking a button and easier than running the excitation system of a large generator.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to tune your car?