Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default idle problem

I have been having an idle issue it is mainly on start up but also sometimes when I pull up to a stop light or stop sign. On start up it goes up to 800-900 then drops down to 200-300 and continues to do this until it ketches itself after a couple of seconds, then it idles at 600-700 like it would normally. and when it acts up at stop signs or lights it seems like it bogs then if I let up on the brake it jumps up in ideal and acts normal. So far I have had codes for both front O2s not responding, and both banks running rich. I have replaced or cleaned the following.
-replaced both front o2s
-cleaned MAF
-Cleaned IAC
I'm looking toward the IAC as the problem but is there a way to test it before I drop the 130 on a new one to make sure mine is bad? If anyone has any other ideas on the matter I'm all ears.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How bout we start with what kind of vehicle/engine/mods. Is it tuned? Do you have software? Any means of scanning it?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

silverodo 5.3 210/218 .551/.551 112 lsa tuned ran fine on tune for past 2 years. also has long tubes no cats and cat back. tune covers all mods and it ran fine up until 2 weeks ago. I don't have a way to scan it except to have a code pulled if the check engine light comes at the local parts store.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need some way of scanning it for more than just codes. You need to find out if its really rich, as in high 02 voltage, but low fuel trims. That would indicate fuel from an unmetered source. Cleaning the MAF wont make it leaner. When the maf is dirty, it leans it out, causes high fuel trims, so cleaning it will do the opposite. Richen it up, cause the fuel trims to go back down, or negative.

Quick Reply: idle problem