Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS Output with Autometer Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS Output with Autometer Speedo

Is anyone running an Autometer speedo off of the VSS output? I'm gettting a VSS output error code and the speedo just flutters around.

Thanks,
Whit
Old 08-01-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running that combo with no issues. Have you calibrated the speedo per Autometers instructions? I had no needle movement until I did the calibration, now it works great.

Jack
Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Teching In

No luck. Was yours throwing an error code prior to calibrating. Here's what Autometer says, "For most late model applications, our speedos can directly connect to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to derive the signal needed to operate, and show the vehicle speed. But, you will need to take this signal DIRECTLY from the VSS, and not from the computer, as the signal after the computer is buffered (conditioned) and our speedos will not recognize that type of signal, so the raw signal from the VSS is the wire to be connected to."

Maybe I'll try to calibrate it again, just in case.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Oops....misread that whole deal...LOL

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 08-01-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone should show Autometer that their speedometers WILL recognize the signal from the pcm. Mine has always been hooked up that way and works perfect.

Originally Posted by Whickman
No luck. Was yours throwing an error code prior to calibrating. Here's what Autometer says, "For most late model applications, our speedos can directly connect to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to derive the signal needed to operate, and show the vehicle speed. But, you will need to take this signal DIRECTLY from the VSS, and not from the computer, as the signal after the computer is buffered (conditioned) and our speedos will not recognize that type of signal, so the raw signal from the VSS is the wire to be connected to."

Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Whickman

I had no error codes at all.... My VSS signal comes from the computer, not directly from the VSS sender.

Jack
Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I recalibrated the speedo and it did resolve the error code but the speedo is all over the place. I'm ready to throw in the towel on this one and pull the signal from the VSS sender. Can I just tap into that line or will it mess up the signal to the PCM?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I would like to know also. I'm wanting to drive an autometer speedo but I have BS3 and no factory pcm. If the vss signal will work that's great.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Default Autometer ate the VSS signal

I made major modifications to my LS1 PCM harness to install it on a 87 S10 chassis with a 41 ****** Pickup body. A year later, I finally got the ****** on the road. The transmission was shifting up and down at random. After a $200.00 trip to the tranny shop, it turns out that the VSS signal was screwed up. Replaced the VSS sensor - no luck. Tore into the heavily modified PCM harness to find the Autometer spedo wired into the VSS signal. Cut the wire and bingo the tranny was fine - 2 days and $200.00 later. Contacted Autometer and they blew me off. Said all I had to do was add a resistor in the VSS to spedo wiring. Asked why they don't mention this on their instructions they said "it does not happen very often" I wired the spedo into the PCM VSS output - works perfect and does not interfere with the factory cruise control.
Bill

Quick Reply: VSS Output with Autometer Speedo