Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRIED E40 during full reflash with Tech2

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRIED E40 during full reflash with Tech2

Had the dealer full flash an E40 of mine from an Envoy 5.3 DOD to a GTO VIN#, OS. Brought them my Speartech cable and they used a battery and their clean charger. Tech said about 95% of the way thru the flash the ECM got quite warm and the CEL light on the harness shut off. Then no communication.

So when I got home I tried the cable on another E40 and it worked fine. My EFIlive won't communicate with the fried E40.

I really don't mind as this tuining thing is a bit of a black art at least for me anyway!

Any ideas what happened?

Thanks, John
Old 08-16-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odd you shouldnt be able to fry an e40. Maybe there is something wrong with thier clean charger that over voltaged the ecm.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Looks like I'll be calling you Monday for a new one! I know the tech quite well. This is the first time he used a cable instead of on the vehicle. It was hooked to a booster pack and charger instead of a car battery. Who knows.

I would love to be able to change operating systems with EFIlive to save going to the dealer. I guess the other option is just to buy a Tech2.

Thanks Jesse.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvolvo
Looks like I'll be calling you Monday for a new one! I know the tech quite well. This is the first time he used a cable instead of on the vehicle. It was hooked to a booster pack and charger instead of a car battery. Who knows.

I would love to be able to change operating systems with EFIlive to save going to the dealer. I guess the other option is just to buy a Tech2.

Thanks Jesse.
the booster systems sometimes put too much voltage to the pcm, its better to use a battery to be safe
Old 08-18-2008, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvolvo

Even if you have a Tech 2, you still have to have a valid (read: paid) subscription to be able to reflash controllers, as the Tech 2 is just used as a pass-through from GM's database.

I've never tried changing the OS with my EFILive V2, but was under the impression that was doable with the commercial version. Is that not true?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you can change the OS on some modules with efilive, (ie, the ls1 controllers)

I believe there are at least 3 "regions" of the E40 ecm (bootloader, OS, and Calibration section) Where EFI live lets you flash the OS and the calibration section, but the bootloader, might need to be flashed to change engine families.

You don't need a tech2 to do the reflashing, you could buy a j2534 device and the subscription

Ryan