Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 efi ECU swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 efi ECU swap

I am new here and this is my first Ls1 based project. I am removing the MEFI ECU on my engine to upgrade to an aftermarket system. I have a few questions hopefully somebody can answer.

1. coils. I plan on retaining the inductive coils on the engine. My ECU is only 4 channel, is there any reason why running wasted spark would be a problem? what sort of dwell time should i be shooting for in my calibration? This is a mildy modified non street vehicle, normally aspirated.

2.crank sensor. I am NOT going to use the factory 24x (i think) crank sensor. Instead I plan on using an external custom crank trigger. the stock LS1 damper/pulley has no mark to reference TDC (that i know of), is there any special procedure or way to find TDC on the pulley, or mark on the cover to work with?

3. cam sensor. I think the cam sensor has a 50% duty cycle. this is OK as I can trigger of the falling edge, just wondering if there is any way to confirm.

thanks for the help. I am not an EFI newbie and have set up many custom EFI engines, just not an LS1.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Teching In

bump

anyone?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First question is why? The factory ECM has plenty of power making ability, and is very tunable.
Yes you can run waste spark.
The only real way to indicate TDC is with a degree wheel and piston stop, but if you're experienced building performance cars/engines, its a no brainer. Just gotta make a pointer, thats all.
As for the cam sensor, just find an operating vehicle and scope it. The cam sensor signal that is.
But back to the original question; why?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Why?

simple, this engine is not in a street vehicle. I need more control flexibility than the MEFI controller offers. The ECU i am installing can do things like traction control, different maps for different fuels or run a power or economy based tune, and control multple custom outputs, to name a few.

As for locating TDC, yes it's no problem using a piston stop, I just wanted to find out if the factory had some sort of mark to go off of and save some time.

I think I have all the issues sorted out, now I am trying to decide if I should pin the dampener.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Not trying to talk you out of changing, but you can do duel and spark, dif. outputs W/ mefi. Questions ? give me a call, steve 909 910 3867