Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Monitor GP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wideband Monitor GP

I don't see how this can be a true wide band for that price a true wideband O2 sensor typically runs 400 plus just for the sensor.. Are we sure this is a wide band O2 and not just an O2 that reads from 10 to 18 instead of mv. I would like to see some comparsions from a true Wideband.

If their the same great.. I just find it hard to believe that a 400 dollar O2 could be had for 28 bucks.. There has to be some technology in a 400.00 O2 sensor..

Just my .02... I hope someone can prove me wrong..
Old 09-05-2003, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Gimme Aux Cable #2 - RPM - also. Gimme gimme gimme! Ask about that for the GP.
I wonder why the cable for RPM logging is extra, it should be included. AFR is worthless without having RPM also.
Also the site says Aux cable 2 is not out until Sep.15th.
Can we get it included in the GP???

If not then it will be $424 for over 10 people, because you have to be able to log RPMs
Old 09-05-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In the user manual, it says "A new value for each sensor is recorded every 0.08125 seconds (roughly 12 times/second)." That's 12 samples per channel.

-Andrew

Again a wideband that a shop uses to tune which is actually a calabration sensor (these are sensors used to calibrate the O2's that we are getting.). I beleive samples somewhere around 100,000 times per second. This is what I have been told. I do not know this for sure. But I would not trust my tune on a 28 dollar VW O2 sensor..

But thats just me...

I just found out that aAny sensor that reads form 8 to 18 is considered a wideband. In truth the sensors in our cars are more accurate than this wideband setup..
Old 09-05-2003, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

The web site says that the Bosch sensor is included with the price.

Here is the datasheet on the Bosch sensor mentioned. It is in German.

http://www.rit.edu/~mxk0840/Bosch_LSU4.2_data_sheet.pdf

Looks like a wideband to me. No hablo German, but I can read a graph.

As for the stocker, no, that's simply not true, about reading proper AFR. It's only got a very narrow linear range, around 14.7:1. This one looks to be quite linear.

Remember, stockers are *narrowband*, meaning they have a linear response only in a *narrow* range. A wideband will have a near-linear output over a much *wider* AFR range.

-Andrew

Old 09-05-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the user manual, it says "A new value for each sensor is recorded every 0.08125 seconds (roughly 12 times/second)." That's 12 samples per channel.

-Andrew

Again a wideband that a shop uses to tune which is actually a calabration sensor (these are sensors used to calibrate the O2's that we are getting.). I beleive samples somewhere around 100,000 times per second. This is what I have been told. I do not know this for sure. But I would not trust my tune on a 28 dollar VW O2 sensor..

But thats just me...

I just found out that aAny sensor that reads form 8 to 18 is considered a wideband. In truth the sensors in our cars are more accurate than this wideband setup..

I've got the TechEdge wb02 with VW sensor. It's not really a good comparison to compare the older widebands and their high cost to these new ones. This is completely different technology, a new, different, way of measuring oxygen content, that's what makes it cheaper, not that its' somehow inferior or something. Computers are cheaper every day, but they aren't inferior to the old ones.

It's really cool to have real time wideband output there on your dash every day while you're tooling around, watching the a/f bounce happily back and forth around stoich as you cruise...you really learn alot about your car. I don't think the one in this Group Purchase is designed for permanent display, more like tune, then take it off type thing, which is fine too. Just depends on what you want.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did manage to find some good information here. Looks like It may be worthwhile..

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show.../t-393330.html
Old 09-05-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEATHL_WS6 that was a very informative link! thanks

in this group buy would the units ship to each of us individually or would they go to one person that would be responsible for shipping? (there was mention of that in the above link about a GB for them)
Old 09-05-2003, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

I may have to get in on this...

Jordan
Old 09-06-2003, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

How do you hook it up? If your rear O2s are turned off, can you screw it in in place of one of those? Can you leave it in all the time, so you can constantly monitor A/F ratio?
Old 09-07-2003, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered mine the first day it was available
works great.I have used it on motorcycles,snowmobiles,and our 95 hp atv engines
with great success.It doesn't torerate leaded fuel for very long but the sensor is cheap so
who cares.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No matter how much more accurate they are, they still are not wideband.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Launching!

I thought I read somewhere that you have to remove the wideband 02 when it is not in use, or it can ruin it, do you know if this is correct? This look really nice
I called and talked to these guys about 2 weeks ago. He said you do NOT have to remove it and can leave it in for continued A/F ratio monitoring. The output cable will give an output simulating a narrowband signal that can be used for Autometer type guages. You can even set the parameters to show when it's at the ratio of your choosing. In other words your useless narrowband guage will show you at stoic at whatever you choose, Ie...tuned for nitrous at different than 14.7 to 1. Pretty cool. Just talked to them again and the sensor can be in permanently. Also the output cable has not just 1 output that can do what I mentioned above but it has a second output that gives the wideband output for, say, an input to a nitrous progressive controller to shutoff flow at a certain a/f correct ratio! Very cool.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

in this group buy would the units ship to each of us individually or would they go to one person that would be responsible for shipping? (there was mention of that in the above link about a GB for them)
I am collecting names to pass on to Innovate Tech. Each person on the list will have to contact them to make payment and they will ship directly to you.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

anyone know what happened to the website?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There server appears to be down right now... not pingable, port 80 is not accepting connections
Old 09-12-2003, 02:17 AM
On The Tree

Email sent to all those I have on the list so far. Drop me another email if I missed you.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering how many of you are planning on installing the sensor before the cats as is sugested in the instructions from Inovate. For a car without headers, this could be a real pain since the cats bolt directly to the manifolds. The sensor could go in the same hole as one of the front O2s, but will likely overheat there as well as cause the PCM to throw codes. The research I've done says it is OK to put the sensor after the cats; check out this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post680347
Old 09-12-2003, 10:22 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Just installed mine today i'm not in on the deal it was to late but get the rpm cable that is key when tuning.It's to hard to look at the meter and everything thats going on to be right on.2 to 4 weeks on the rpm cable
Old 09-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it would be to build your own rpm cable? Also, where did you install the sensor?
Old 09-13-2003, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

I plan on making a cable, some simple directions are included below.

Klaus is great. I have seen several occasions where he has provided users schematics to make custom input for RPM and outputs for the ricers runing auto tuning computers.

from http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show.../t-393330.html

The input capability is already built-into the LM-1 (http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/...tm#_Toc46234170), but I guess you might want the special cable to interface to the Mini-DIN 7 plug. I'm sure you could come up with your own interface by visiting a Radio Shack. You'd just need to grab an rpm signal voltage from somewhere in the car. It simply records the voltage and then you would need to convert that to an RPM in MS Excel.

BTW. An 8 pin cable will work also in the 7 pin Plug of the LM-1. Get a Macintosh serial cable with all 8 pins connected and cut off one end. If you have an analog RPM signal already in your car, you do not have to convert it using Excel. The LM-1 software can do that for you. For the input used, just specify the unit (rpm) and which rpm is equivalent to 0V and which is equivalent to 5V. The produced Excel-log and graph will show the log already converted into the specified unit. We are working also on a future software release (no release date yet) that will allow you to link to sensor output curve files (excel files), so that the log download will do the linearization for you for non-linear sensor signals.
The upcoming aux-in cable with RPM allows to hook it up with an inductive pickup (included) or you can directly hook it up to a crank synchronous or cam synchronous pulsed signal (1 pulse/rotation). That signal can be anywhere from 300mV to ignition primary (not tested yet, but will be before release).

Quick Reply: Wideband Monitor GP