PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Do I have a Tuning issue or a bad injector or 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008 | 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Question Do I have a Tuning issue or a bad injector or 2?

Ok I am down on power I mean 30-40 rwhp on the Dyno and I just Pulled the plugs yesterday To re gap. Ok what I have found was 1 3 5 and 7 (the Left side)are nice light brown(Normal) and number 2 same ,But when I got to the right side number 4 it was white like it hasn't seen fuel and number 6 and 8 were almost as white,What I mean by white is like a newer plug.Can one injector throw off 2 others or is this a tuning issue?I guess I will have to have numbers 4 6 and 8 Cleaned and flow tested.The car also bucks worse than it used to in lower rpms in 3rd or 4th gear converter locked.These are Delphi 42# injectors...Thanks for your input...
Scott

Last edited by Pro Mouse; 09-07-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2008 | 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have an Idea? TTT for me
Old 09-08-2008 | 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since you have HPTuners, why dont you temprarily richen up idle as much as you can... let it idle... then check the plugs. If the white ones are still white then fuel deficiency is the problem. Them swap injectors around and try it again. You need to use some scientific method here to determine the root cause. One bad injector would not cause the ones near it to be lean. Check the injectors on a digital multi meter, testing the coils next. Need to dive in and narrow down your diagnosis.
Old 09-08-2008 | 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

A couple things:
1. Test the circuits w/ a noid lite, to be sure the harness is OK, and there's "fire" to the injs. Same w/ the plugs.
2. If you decide to have them cleaned and tested, do ALL 8. That way, you know for sure that they are all at/about the same flow.
FWIW, I frequently get injs to test/clean, that have been labelled as "bad"... Very often not the inj[s], but something else...

Getting any misfires?
Old 09-08-2008 | 11:19 AM
Banned

We had a LS1 based car with two bad injectors, it was down 70rwhp on 6 cylinders. Plugs were white, noid lights showed that the injectors were getting signal, and the coils were definitely firing. Replaced the injectors, and sure as sh*t, back up to 430rwhp.

BTW: they were Lucas 42lb/hr injectors as well.
Old 11-05-2008 | 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
We had a LS1 based car with two bad injectors, it was down 70rwhp on 6 cylinders. Plugs were white, noid lights showed that the injectors were getting signal, and the coils were definitely firing. Replaced the injectors, and sure as sh*t, back up to 430rwhp.

BTW: they were Lucas 42lb/hr injectors as well.
I am having a problem where I continue getting the P0300 Misfire code. I have new 42# injectors..new plugs..new wires...I wonder if I have a bad coil...what is the best way to find out??