Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 (2?) Edit vs. HPT vs. EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 (2?) Edit vs. HPT vs. EFI Live

Yes, I'm aware that this question has been asked before.

I did a quick search and found a couple of threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/348352-ls1-edit-hp-tuners.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/246793-hp-tuner-efi-live.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1925095

And that would make it sound like LS1 Edit is not really in the running with HPT and EFILive, but I figured I'd include it in my questions.

What I want to do is convert some of my current projects to the 0411 PCM used on '01-'03 LS1's (and a lot of other things).

Among these potential applications:

Cadillac Northstar in Pontiac Fiero with manual transmission - I need to do some more research, but I *think* that this combo can be run with a 0411 running the Vortec L31 code from an Express Van.

TPI 400 Chevy/4L60E in '75 Jaguar - Currently running with LT1 PCM (tuned with LT1 Edit) and optical pickup transplanted into large cap HEI.

5.3 in AMC Eagle - have no experience with this engine family or PCM's.

Cadillac 500/4L80E in '90 Suburban - Also currently running with LT1 PCM.

I know that the 0411 can be used to run the older engines because of this: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tp...-opinions.html
That uses a modified Vortec/Ramjet trigger wheel and Vortec distributor to trigger an 0411 PCM with LS1 code running LS1 coils, sequential injection, etc.

Anyway: What are the specific advantages/disadvantages of any of the tuning suites in question?

I've gleaned the following:
LS1 Edit: change cables to scan; locked to VIN rather than model; poor customer support

HP Tuners: same cable to scan/tune; sold by model rather than VIN; what else???

EFI Live: change cables between scan/tune; sold by model rather than VIN; custom OS for N2O/boost????

What are some of the other features that make people prefer one over the other? How might one be more suitable to my strange apps than another?
What improvements will be made in LS2 Edit over LS1 Edit? Enough to tip the balance?

I already have LT1 Edit and haven't been very impressed, especially with the customer service.

What tuning tricks would be involved in getting the Van code to run with a manual transmission, since GM only ever used it with an auto?

Thanks!

Last edited by The Dark Side of Wil; 10-01-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my oppinion, Efilive is the best choice for any streetrod application.

The reasons are:

1. That we can do segment swaps to make vehicle types and configurations seamlessly to act just as they would stock. Like a 5.7L camaro with a 4l80e trans.

2. Efilive dont care about vin numbers at all so if you have a swap, you dont have to mess with being locked out of a computer when you want to change it to something else.

3. Custom os systems are free and so you can run without MAF sensor and other things to make the install cleaner.

4. It will do exactly what you are wanting with the van to a manual trans.

5. EFIlive is 1 cable for Scanning and tuning. You dont have to swap cables.

6. A tech support phone number....
Old 10-02-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Great! Thanks! The segment swap capability sounds like it's just what the doctor ordered for several odd powertrain combinations I've been considering.

I assum that functions like CAGS and reverse lockout can also be disabled in the T56 segment, so I can use the computer with a non-T56 transmission?

Do you have full support for the E67 PCM's that use teh 58x trigger wheel?

Does anyone care to say anything about HP Tuners?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes full e67 and e38 support. Including VATS disable patches and Virtual VE tables so you dont have to do the math to change the base fueling of your projects..

Yes you can delete CAGS.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

The links in my sig have a lot of good tuning info.