PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Do i still need a programmer...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Do i still need a programmer...?

If a get my car tuned from a shop do i still need a programmer?
Old 10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

No(if they tune it right) but if you want to change any of their settings or you get comfortable with tuning or just want to try it out later on then get a programmer, OR you could spend the money the right way and get EFI live or something like that.

I have Ls1 Edit and i am trying to figure it out a little but not very many people have it.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If your going to be making upgrades in spurts I would do this.
1) Purchase HP tuners or EFI live and install it on a laptop.
2) Find a shop or someone who is familier with tuning with the software you purchased.
3) Find out what it would cost to tune your car with YOUR software.
4) Have your car tuned with your software, saving your stock tune.

Now when you decide to do some other modification you don't have to purchase a "New Tune". In your free time read up on the software and how to tune. Then you can do your own tuning or worst case senerio, have someone tune using what you have and if you decide to go back to stock everything is there for you. If you decide to change gears or tire size or something else you can do it right there at your home without paying someone else to do it.

It would only make sense to do this if your keeping the car for a while. Then you could sell the software and everything with your car if your decide to sell it. Also you would only be paying for someones time to tune your car rather than for credit and someones time.

Just a thought.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^ Good thought.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question you ask is a hard one, Yes the company may do a good job and your tune is close. But everyone wants/likes something different so tuning software would allow you to tweak the little quirks you dont like. Plus it is also a scan tool so you can play and watch that as you drive or go thru a days of driving to see what you can change to make it even better. Or see problems before they show up..
Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
If your going to be making upgrades in spurts I would do this.
1) Purchase HP tuners or EFI live and install it on a laptop.
2) Find a shop or someone who is familier with tuning with the software you purchased.
3) Find out what it would cost to tune your car with YOUR software.
4) Have your car tuned with your software, saving your stock tune.

Now when you decide to do some other modification you don't have to purchase a "New Tune". In your free time read up on the software and how to tune. Then you can do your own tuning or worst case senerio, have someone tune using what you have and if you decide to go back to stock everything is there for you. If you decide to change gears or tire size or something else you can do it right there at your home without paying someone else to do it.

It would only make sense to do this if your keeping the car for a while. Then you could sell the software and everything with your car if your decide to sell it. Also you would only be paying for someones time to tune your car rather than for credit and someones time.

Just a thought.
Couldn't have said it better
Old 10-02-2008, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

/\ This is learned after paying for 2 different shops to do tunes for major upgrades. Along with changing rear end gear and tire size.

I could have purchase 2 HP tuner packages for what I spent. Just trying to help others not make the same mistake.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Once upon a time ago, I lost $400 for a "professional" tune. After that I ponied up for EFILive so I could do it right.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

I vote for getting your own tuning software.
I can't count the times I have changed the idle, fan temp turn on / off, shift points in 'perf' mode and rev limiter WOT shift points.
Plus, I have copies of original factory programming and dyno tune programming. (handy when it comes time for emissions testing.
Another good use is when I am forced to have a shop do work on the car. I set the speed limiter and rev limiter down low (60 mph / 2900 rpm). This keeps folks from hot ******* the car and reduces the chances of breaking things.