Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Damn, think I blew a head gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009 | 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Default Damn, think I blew a head gasket...

I have an 88 Formula 305 TBI with around 88,000 miles on it but a new OEM engine was put in at about 40,000 miles or so. Only mods to the car are Edelbrock headers, high flow cat, Hooker catback. Took it to the track a couple times but that was about two years ago; since then it's just been my daily driver.

I drove the car last night and it got hot at random, although it never got into the red and seemed to be fine temp-wise when I was cruising on the highway. Also it overheated the other day when it was left idling for a few hours; someone at my house moved it to plow the driveway and forgot it was running. It was hard to see this morning but it looked like there might have been some fluid under it when I left for work (driving a different vehicle now). It has also been idling a little funny - not always smooth - and I thought I saw some white smoke last night but again it was dark and hard to tell.

I'm just pissed because although the engine isn't brand new, it doesn't have that many miles on it, I don't really beat on the car much, and I always take care of it maintenance-wise. Also, it has a new radiator and water pump I put in last year, so I'm guessing the overheating doesn't have to do with that. It's due for an oil change so I'm gonna do that and I'm expecting to find coolant in the oil. It really sucks because I was planning on selling it this Spring to get part of a down payment for a new car.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 01-21-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2009 | 07:44 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem with mine.Your electric fan is not working(fine at cruising speed,but over heats at idle)An easy way to check it is to turn the a/c on.The fan should turn on.If it doesn`t,check the voltage at the connector.If it checks out ok,your fan is bad.If the fan turns on,then your temp sensor,connector or wiring is bad.You can still drive the car.Just watch the gage.Temp. goes up turn the a/c on.I hope this helps you out.