Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I almost got a Woody, 2012 Trans Am Proto

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacSpeed91
Cant say the bird will NEVER be back. A time eventually will come where it would be profitable, you never know, saying "never" is really just ignorant, most people who say this are Camaro fans who do not want to see the sister car come and take sales away( i cant blame them )or 4th gen fans who want to have collectibles.

Well folks, plenty of people want Firebirds and if they ever do decide to bring the name back out, even if its just some push on the names heritage, ill be there to buy it as will the fans of the cars. Will it happen soon? Naa, GM is in deep doo doo and needs work, will it ever happen? My guess is yes, because those who say "never" really are just in denial
The Firebird as we know it WILL NEVER be back...Obama/Congress has seen to that. Once GM sold out and begged for the bail out money they got they agreed to certain things...one being large increases in minimum MPG ratings on every car that aren't "optional" (as in paying a gas guzzler tax)...they are mandated. I am not sure how these mandates will effect current production vehicles (like the Camaro) but you can be assured they will prevent any future big V8 production cars from even being considered. So there will be no rear wheel drive high performance V8 Firebird...and I would MUCH rather see it dead than the name butchered!

AS far as true fans being there to by the car if its a "push on the name"....NO F'ing WAY! Did true fans line up to buy the GTO when it came out in 04...NO because it wasnt a real GTO! Are Firehawk fans lining up to buy the G8 firehawk....no actually its quite the opposite. I HOPE AGAINST HOPE GM/Pontiac will learn from those blunders and just let the Firebird rest in piece if they can't put the name on a car that will truly do the name justice!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
The Firebird as we know it WILL NEVER be back...Obama/Congress has seen to that. Once GM sold out and begged for the bail out money they got they agreed to certain things...one being large increases in minimum MPG ratings on every car that aren't "optional" (as in paying a gas guzzler tax)...they are mandated. [snip]
This sounds like Obama-bashing to me, rather than anything factual. As far as I know, all the proposed legislation has to do with average MPG across the line of offerings, and doesn't stipulate "minimum MPG ratings on every car". I'm going to have to search on this, but if it's true, it's the first I've heard of it - and it won't likely pass.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane
This sounds like Obama-bashing to me, rather than anything factual. As far as I know, all the proposed legislation has to do with average MPG across the line of offerings, and doesn't stipulate "minimum MPG ratings on every car". I'm going to have to search on this, but if it's true, it's the first I've heard of it - and it won't likely pass.
I am not bashing Obama...just telling you what Rush said and what I heard on Fox News!

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=42564

The president on Monday ordered the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to review a proposed California rule to set tougher limits, while also ordering the Department of Transportation to develop higher fuel efficiency standards for cars.

That means vehicles would have to attain 35 miles per gallon by the 2011 model years, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said. The current standard is 27 miles per gallon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4607215.shtml

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Saturday the House would provide aid to the ailing U.S. auto industry, requiring that the industry meet new fuel-efficiency standards, produce advanced vehicles and restructure "to ensure their long-term economic viability."
Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Teching In

Default just figured youd want to know,

AE reports new Firebird in 2009, camaro 12 months earlier!!!
http://autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table

GM, Pontiac. The GTO will be no more by next fall. Automotive News reported yesterday that the car will be discontinued at the end of this model year, with the last deliveries arriving at dealers by the end of September. The reasons behind the GTO's demise are many, but ultimately it came down to the fact that the architecture that the car is based on (from GM's Holden division in Australia) is going out of production in preparation for the company's newly revised ZETA RWD program. The GTO was one of the first things that Bob Lutz did to jump-start the Pontiac Division when he came on board at GM. Even though the plan was well-intentioned, the GTO suffered from unfair comparisons to the original GTO (not that any of the hard-core GTO enthusiasts could actually define what a modern GTO should look like), among other things, but the biggest problem for the car from our perspective was that it just cost too much money. If GM could have brought the car in for the mid-$20,000 range at intro, it would have taken off, big time. We made no bones about the fact that we loved the GTO, and the plain looks of the car never bothered us. After all, the original was a Pontiac Tempest with dog-dish hub caps and a couple of fake scoops in the hood, about as bland of a car as you could get back then. But the proof of the original was in the performance, just like the current GTO, which, if you haven't driven one you're missing out, because it is simply a blast to drive. The current car also has one of GM's finest interiors, and we find the overall package to be outstanding, which is why we called the GTO our Autoextremist "High-Performance Value of the Year." The retirement of the GTO presents a real quandary for the Pontiac Division, as the GTO is really the only other car besides the Solstice that is true to the brand's mission within GM's divisional structure. Pontiac had a narrow window of opportunity with the car, but now that's gone, which is a shame. So if you like RWD high-performance, you owe it to yourself to check out the GTO before it disappears. And by the way, Pontiac enthusiasts shouldn't give up on the brand just yet, as there is a RWD performance car coming for the division. After the new Camaro makes its street debut as a 2008 model, watch for an all-new Pontiac Firebird to debut 12 months later as a 2009 model. You read it here first.

sad to say they are thinking about only making slight mods/changes to the camaro, but as far as it goes now, the gto will stop production, and in late 2009 to early 2010 there should be an arrival of the new firebird. if this economy gets any better, lets all hope.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. All of these photo-chop, prototype, artist's renditions and whatever 'pics, and none of them look half as good as the LS-1 4th 'Gen from over 11 years ago.

Some things are better left untouched...
Old 02-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Launching!

I dunno I rather like that acura prototype.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

these all look dumb and it will never happen...(at least not in the near future), car companies are cutting down on their "double" production cars, for instance as long as there's a camaro, i doubt there will be a trans am newer than an '02
Old 02-09-2009, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

I'm not really sure where you all see a g35 or 350 in the prototype pics??? That is a modified saturn sky if I ever seen one! look at the rear end, that is 98% sky!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

I am not bashing Obama...just telling you what Rush said and what I heard on Fox News!

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...x?RsrcID=42564

The president on Monday ordered the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to review a proposed California rule to set tougher limits, while also ordering the Department of Transportation to develop higher fuel efficiency standards for cars.

That means vehicles would have to attain 35 miles per gallon by the 2011 model years, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said. The current standard is 27 miles per gallon.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4607215.shtml

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Saturday the House would provide aid to the ailing U.S. auto industry, requiring that the industry meet new fuel-efficiency standards, produce advanced vehicles and restructure "to ensure their long-term economic viability."

Just as an update, Obama's proposal increases the average fuel economy across the car line, not the fuel economy on every car model.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Cool

I dunno of this really is good news but via Autoblog, Bob Lutz is retiring after this year! I personally think this is the guy thats keeping the Bird' from making a come back, if he goes, who knows what the future may hold!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badasslowrida
AE reports new Firebird in 2009, camaro 12 months earlier!!!
http://autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table

GM, Pontiac. The GTO will be no more by next fall. Automotive News reported yesterday that the car will be discontinued at the end of this model year, with the last deliveries arriving at dealers by the end of September. The reasons behind the GTO's demise are many, but ultimately it came down to the fact that the architecture that the car is based on (from GM's Holden division in Australia) is going out of production in preparation for the company's newly revised ZETA RWD program. The GTO was one of the first things that Bob Lutz did to jump-start the Pontiac Division when he came on board at GM. Even though the plan was well-intentioned, the GTO suffered from unfair comparisons to the original GTO (not that any of the hard-core GTO enthusiasts could actually define what a modern GTO should look like), among other things, but the biggest problem for the car from our perspective was that it just cost too much money. If GM could have brought the car in for the mid-$20,000 range at intro, it would have taken off, big time. We made no bones about the fact that we loved the GTO, and the plain looks of the car never bothered us. After all, the original was a Pontiac Tempest with dog-dish hub caps and a couple of fake scoops in the hood, about as bland of a car as you could get back then. But the proof of the original was in the performance, just like the current GTO, which, if you haven't driven one you're missing out, because it is simply a blast to drive. The current car also has one of GM's finest interiors, and we find the overall package to be outstanding, which is why we called the GTO our Autoextremist "High-Performance Value of the Year." The retirement of the GTO presents a real quandary for the Pontiac Division, as the GTO is really the only other car besides the Solstice that is true to the brand's mission within GM's divisional structure. Pontiac had a narrow window of opportunity with the car, but now that's gone, which is a shame. So if you like RWD high-performance, you owe it to yourself to check out the GTO before it disappears. And by the way, Pontiac enthusiasts shouldn't give up on the brand just yet, as there is a RWD performance car coming for the division. After the new Camaro makes its street debut as a 2008 model, watch for an all-new Pontiac Firebird to debut 12 months later as a 2009 model. You read it here first.

sad to say they are thinking about only making slight mods/changes to the camaro, but as far as it goes now, the gto will stop production, and in late 2009 to early 2010 there should be an arrival of the new firebird. if this economy gets any better, lets all hope.

Your Kidding right
BTW thanks for posting a 2 year old article.

Anyway with Pontiac's line up slimming down to a possible 4 models and the new CAFE standards a new Firebird looks like an impossibility.

As I said in the past people need to stop crying about being short changed by GM.
Rather put that anger to good use and Celebrate your Firebird as being the best it has ever been. Because it will not be seen again.

Last edited by LS1W66; 02-09-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

the secound car looks like the new skyline
Old 02-12-2009, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

If thats your sources no wonder you said what you said but thats a dicussion for ssu.

To the op those concepts make me wanna

Last edited by Detoxx03; 02-12-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: wtf
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Would anyone like to take a bet with me that there will NOT be a 2012 TA/Firebird?
Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 AM
12 Second Club

maybe a 2015
Old 02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Teching In

I'd love to see one, but I doubt it. Someone will probably come out with a body kit for the 'maros that will look more like the TA/Firebird, but I'd say thats about it. I love my TA and I'd love to see a new one, but I doubt I ever will.

The 'bird is dead, long live the 'bird.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Teching In

I dont see it happening anytime in the near future. it would be good to see, yes but GM better bring something amazing to the table if they plan to top the ls 1 4th gen... but on the other hand, i read in one of the gm magazines probably 2 months ago that if all the sales are met for the '10 camaro they are throwing around the idea of a '12 trans am... old news to most im sure. from the pics they had it said that if it was to be done GM would more than likely base the looks of the car off of the 77 78 trans am... like most of you i agree we probably wont see this happen... they sent the bird out with a bang in 02... let the master piece rest well and live on through us is what i say. i will try to fnd the article on the '12 t/a and post it up on here.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by whitdog54
If they ever remake it...i hope it stays along the lines of the 4th gen look....not retro like the camaro...
x2 i agree. Hopefully
Old 02-21-2009, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myk
Wow. All of these photo-chop, prototype, artist's renditions and whatever 'pics, and none of them look half as good as the LS-1 4th 'Gen from over 11 years ago.

Some things are better left untouched...
THANK YOU! I hope they dont make a new TA, it'd only ruin what we have come to love. The new concepts look horrible, the new camaro even looks horrid. Sorry, but change isnt always for the best.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Probably be like the opel powered nova they made in the late 80's

Quick Reply: I almost got a Woody, 2012 Trans Am Proto