Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Overheated

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i drove home today and my car only has water in it right now. It was a warm day and my temp gauge got a little over 210 probably like 215 or so according to the gauge. I got home and took a shower then went to go out and about and my low coolant light was on. I opened the radiator cap and poured in maybe a cups worth of water. Keep in mind i havent properly bled the system yet and only has water in it. The reason for water only is because i dont want to spend the money on coolant then have to change it because another problem arises. Tommorow im going to bleed and put coolant/water in it and bleed the system. Hopefully it wil be fine.
I truly doubt i has a blown headgasket just due to the fact that it runs fine and is plenty powerful. This weekend i'll do an oil change. i stuck the dipstick in the oil filler just to see if the oil looked fine, which i doubt that would tell me but it was fine looking. i assume the dealer changed the oil before i bought because its new oil. thanks for the help
Old 02-22-2009, 02:07 AM

This car has been driving me crazy. I flushed again put 50/50 mix drove around for a good while then low coolant light comes on. It's crazy because sometimes it will run for a long time without problems then the second it has problems again they wont go away. I put about 1/8 gallon of water in before i drove home and the low coolant light came on real quick within a mile i'd say. I watched my gauges real close stayed at norm op temp. I made it home step out of the car and smell coolant. I pop the hood and steam is coming out, not too terribly much and coolant sprayed everything on the front of the engine. It's dark so couldnt see well but thankfully i'll know for sure tommorow morning what the problem is, first time theres been coolant under the hood.

BTW does anyone know of a good way to bleed the air out? i tried using the hose that comes from the throttle body and ended up burning the hell out of my hand. I dont have a bleed screw on the thermostat housing like i've seen online.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM

Coolants dripping down the front of the engine, looks like water pump issues.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Bought me a water pump got the old one out in 20 minutes and procedded to put in the new one, i got all the bolts in. Now time for the tensioner pulley. Not thinking i had the belt on the pulley while trying to screw the bolt in, had it been an iron piece i imagine it would have been fine, but its aluminum so i crossthreaded the hell out of it. Thankfully i had a tap and die set and fixed it up. Cars running now i just need to bleed it
Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM

Well it was running just fine since i changed the water pump and the original problem is back. Coolant is coming out of the overflow tank.
I've changed everything but the radiator and i dont have a blown headgasket. Is there anywhere i could take the radiator to have them check it out and see what the problem is or would i be better off just buying a new one?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't tried the radiator cap do it. Could be a bad heater core. all else fails, go to a mechanic lol.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM

heater core is bypassed. Ya i did Water pump, Thermostat, and radiator cap. It seems like my driver side fan doesnt have nearly the cfm as the passanger side fan, possibly could be the problem. I've noticed i can drive on the freeway all day with no problems and i start sitting in traffic and it goes a little over 210
Old 03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

I would try changing out radiator fans. if they don't work as good as they should then they will never cool enough.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Wheres a good place to get maintenance/oe stuff online? at good prices
Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

I buy everything from WS6STORE.COM

They give me the best deals
Old 03-11-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah if it is fine cruising but over heats sitting still. Usually and air flow or radiator problem. You can also test to see if the head gaskets are blown with a kit from napa. It is a dye.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Village Idiot

Headgasket you will see white smoke coming out of the exhaust.. Check for slow leaks in all hose ends, a weak radiator cap, shot thermostate if applicable, top radiator seal leaks, or a rusted out or worn heater core...

It seems like you may have a real slow leak that is active when the motor is turning, it maybe so small you have evaporation happening so there will be no evidence of a leak.. Pressure test the system if all else fails..
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Definetly not a headgasket, it runs like a champ and no smoke, i dont think my car with a blown headgasket would beat a 2007 gt.
I've changed the cap, thermostat, and the pump. I guess i could change all the hoses before i spend the money for a radiator. My heater core is bypassed.
This just came to mind, the hose that is being used to bypass the heater core is kinked a little bit. Its before and after the thermostat. I dont know if that could be the problem...
It's not that the system is leaking out coolant, the reason the low coolant light comes on is because its going to the overflow tank.

I just checked the fans and they are both turning on....

oh ya and its selective of when it will pop up the low coolant light. I drove to work this morning and the light came on. filled up the radiator before i went to the job. On the way to the job, light came on. I then drove home and no light. I get home and the overflow tank is a little high. I drive the car around for 30-45 minutes and no problems. I was driving slow like i was in traffic then would got WOT. When you want it to mess up it doesnt...

Hey Jibby, my buddy has an sc400 with a stock 1jz swap in it. It's pretty fun, hes putting new turbos on, full exhaust, and getting it tuned.
My other friend has a 1994 Supra with 3.2 stroker 67mm, boost logic auto tranny, 3.5" exhaust, and it pushed 550rwhp on pump gas at 17lbs. Just recently blew the engine though His standalone started messing up and ended up hitting 27lbs on pump gas

Last edited by FormulaStyle; 03-11-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The low coolant lights are known to be junk, If it is not overheating, I would just suspect the sensor is bad. GM removed the sensors on the later cars.

Ryan
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Well its been cold a few days, low coolant light hasnt come on once and i just checked and coolant level is fine. So theres not a leak.
Could having no heater core make my car not cool properly?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by formulastyle
well its been cold a few days, low coolant light hasnt come on once and i just checked and coolant level is fine. So theres not a leak.
Could having no heater core make my car not cool properly?
No.....
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM

changed the radiator. that did the trick

Quick Reply: Overheated