Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Project XTA Build - (SuperLow)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that this is a build thread. I will probably delete all off topic discussion.

As a side note, if you read my mid-engine thread, you will see that the GTM's with the G50 trans has already been discussed. They cost roughly $6k plus clutch and adapter.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I cut out the passengers side shock tower today and did a little figuring as far as how to get the performance geometry I want with the new spindles.

I don't have my spindle yet, but a PS will do.

I need to lower the UCA mount. It looks like it will need to go inside the frame. Something like this. (just ignore the spindle shape)

These are just rough ideas. I'm still working on it.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-19-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet man. i hope for the best. gonna be a neat project
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

For your whole mid-engine idea, have you thought about taking a setup out of a monte or impala? just mount the whole engine cradle out back. you would have to fab up mounts for the upper strut mount and make the spindles not turn. sounds like the cheapest and easiest way to make a midengine setup.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mrburnout81
For your whole mid-engine idea, have you thought about taking a setup out of a monte or impala? sounds like the cheapest and easiest way to make a midengine setup.
Yes, but you'd have to lower your power to 250-300HP, which I don't plan to do. With about $450HP and in the back with 335 tires, I'd break it for sure. A beefed 4T65E-HD trans would cost about $4k-$5k which is more than I want to spend for an auto.

I can pick up a used 4L80E from a truck for under $700 locally and if it ever needs a rebuild, it will be quite cheap compared to the mid-engine choices.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-19-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

I pulled the gas tank and cut an access hole out. Don't cut it too wide or you'll have a hard time getting through the braces.

I also cut out the other shock tower.

Then I pulled out the wipers. There is a huge amount of wasted space in the dash area. I thought it was needed for the center wiper arm linkage to spin around, but it's not. It's just wasted space. On the passenger side is the fresh air inlet which sticks up from inside the car a few inches which keeps water from getting in. Here's how the air flows.

This big cavity goes all the way over to the drivers side where there is a drain.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

This cavity is about 17" deep. I've never seen anyone show what this is exactly, so I figured I'd show everyone.

Drivers side

Middle

Passengers side

I'm thinking about running a steel tube across this gap under the glass and then run some legs down to the frame rails.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

As for mid-engine, have you looked into what the fiero guys use? Theres a fiero with an LS7 so im pretty sure whatever tranny hes using would work for you. You should try and contact him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ02Z7sSH30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Szl...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Pde...eature=channel

Also try archies v-8 fiero archive
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

there are tons of people here who should be able to help you out, but i think the majority of them use modified porsche transaxles.

We have introduced a new conversion kit to allow you to install the new Pontiac G6 6 speed stick shift transmission into any Fiero whether it has the stock engine or any of the popular V-6 or V-8 engine swaps.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by evilZO6
As for mid-engine, have you looked into what the fiero guys use? Theres a fiero with an LS7 so im pretty sure whatever tranny hes using would work for you. You should try and contact him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ02Z7sSH30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Szl...eature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Pde...eature=channel

Also try archies v-8 fiero archive
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

there are tons of people here who should be able to help you out, but i think the majority of them use modified porsche transaxles.

We have introduced a new conversion kit to allow you to install the new Pontiac G6 6 speed stick shift transmission into any Fiero whether it has the stock engine or any of the popular V-6 or V-8 engine swaps.
If you look at my mid-engine thread you will find all that info.
The fieros all mount transversly so no one uses Porsche parts. The 427 car is using a G6 6 speed manual rated at 300ft/lbs torque and cryo treated. It may or may not hold up. No one knows for sure.

If anyone wants to talk about mid-engine stuff, please post it in that thread, not this one. Thank you.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry didnt know you had a mid engine thread. Just trying to help,only took me 45 minutes or so to round that all up for you, but at least you appreciate it right!? wont post in your threads anymore.

Good luck
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribed
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just an update, I've been doing less to the white car and more to the black one. The air suspension is installed. (That link is in my Sig) Right now I'm in the process of tubbing the rear. The trans tunnel has been raised. I'd much rather install the IRS, now instead of modifying the solid axle. I'm also thinkiing I can do the vette spindle swap onto the black car without too much fabrication.

I think the fate of the white car will be just for mocking things up for the other car. Money is one reason. There are some things going on in my life that I just don't think building the white car up as a complete 2nd vehicle just doesn't make sense.

A few pics of the black car.

Last edited by JasonWW; 07-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did this build hit a wall and stop?
Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 14k
did this build hit a wall and stop?
It's on the back burner while I build up my custom motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Project XTA Build - (SuperLow)