Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

differences between trans am and ws6

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1W66
All my original brochures are packed away but I remember `98-`00 The powersteering cooler was part of the Pkg. (My Base Formula does not have it)
So they may have made it mandatory on all car in the later years.
hmmm i remember reading in a sticky a long time ago before i bought mine that it was early formulas that came without but all t/as did, i think. i definitely could be wrong about this though.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BluWs6
there IS a difference.. and yes 5 g will put u past the diff between a ta and a ws6 but part of what ur buying is the name.. and yes an ls1 is an ls1.. but thats from the heads down.. the intake and exhaust are your differences when it comes to mechanical.. suspension is also a big difference.. why your saying the diff is the hood i duno? ram air package is an option for the ta as well.. that DOESNT make it a ws6.. all this you can find with just a lil research.. the comment about how the ta/ws6/and firehawk are all the same is bogus... if u guys forgot already the same motor the vette uses was run in our fbodys..

Originally Posted by BluWs6
dont mean to step on anyones toes but i have ben around these cars since i could crawl.. just stating the obvious. sorry if i offended anyone
You didn't step on anyone's toes, you made yourself look like a fool. I too have been around these cars since I could crawl and you're flat out WRONG. Obviously the biggest differences will be between a T/A and Firehawk where you will see/feel the suspension differences but overall there aren't many MAJOR differences between the 3 trims. Also, what does the LS1 being in the Corvette have to do with this discussion.

Also, show me a factory "ram air" set up that's NOT a WS6 and no WS6 hood....

Last edited by Frosty; 03-28-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Looks (IMO) and RESALE are the difference...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ dude all our cars have about 350 crank horsepower. also, basically everything with the ws6 is either show or bs. they made things slightly better on paper to make it sound better but in reality the differences are so small they dont matter. the only performance difference between ls1 cars is tire size and weight. the ONLY advantage a ls1 vette has is weight, which is only a slight advantage.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM

ok. then there is no difference between the two.. i was wrong...
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Nice edit. The LS1 in the 'vette and WS6 is damn near the same.

No one is saying the T/A and WS6 is EXACTLY the same...there are some differences but enough to make a big performance difference? No, not at all. A hood, and some better shocks...to some people that isn't worth the $$. But motor for motor it's EXACTLY the same...performance is the same....
Old 03-28-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
the ONLY advantage a ls1 vette has is weight, which is only a slight advantage.
And a far superior suspension and chassis design...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ in drag racing i meant. our solid axles are better anyways. now road course, yeah different story. but rolling start on the highway weight'll be it.

Quick Reply: differences between trans am and ws6