Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Power stearing went out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
Do you have a bigger pic of the one in your avatar? Thats a AWESOME pic.

And it was just a stupid hose that got disconnected. Idk which hose its called but I tried getting a new one and they didnt have a "specific" hose like the one i needed...weired...so....anyways all iI did has buy a clamp and used that to hold it on nd so far its working. $6 fix.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 AM
Teching In

I too have this issue with my '02 T/A. It left my local dealership scratching their heads even after a few calls to the home base for ideas as to what could be wrong. Long story short the dealership replaced pretty much the entire power steering assembly in their quest to silence the noise. funny thing is... it's doing it again! I bought the car new with the extended warranty so at the time it didn't cost me anything to fix it. but the symptoms are the same as mentioned above. fluid is over-heating & pushing out from under the cap though it's not so much loss that i notice the steering getting heavier. but the info is great that i can take it back 1 last time and have the repair done correctly.

on a seperate note though. small "vent hose" filter beside the radiator... what is it for? i find nothing in the owner's manual that mentions it.

thanks for the good work!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

just a final update for you folks that may still have this issue with your rides. i finally took the time to try to fix this situation out myself. plain and simple i unhooked the powersteering cooler and rerouted the return line coming from the rack straight to the power steering resevoir. drain & flushed the entire system and refilled w/ fresh fluid. no more noise. keep in mind that so far this works fine for everyday normal use. don't think i'd recommend this route for those that road race their cars.