Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2011 trans am???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SyckWS6
Thank god they didn't and aren't going to roll out a TA with the looks of that. The front end is just horrible and the colors they chose for the concept design doesn't help the styling of the car one bit. To date my favorite body styles are from the years 98-02. Now if Chevy would have actually rolled out the Z28's, that would have been an awesome car, with the shaker-hood rested ontop of an LS9!
you know why they made that color combo right? its to pay homage to the 1970-72 T/A

speaking of early T/A's i saw one the other day with a Ram air V motor in it. supposedly one of 12 blocks that got secretly taken out of the factory before GM destroyed the rest. There are only 2 of the 12 that are in actual cars, the other being a 1969 GTO. the guy said he knows where 5 of them are currently. i bet those are big money engines.his was a white with blue stripes 1970 and he had RAM AIR V on the hood scoop.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
if they built the camaro solidly then maby ...just maby...given a few years the platform can be fine tweaked..and we could possibly have a better built trans am?
what kind of T/A? a chevrolet T/A? a Cadillac T/A a Buick T/A? pontiac is dead so how can they built a trans am if they cant put a name badge on it.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really would like to see a new TA, but if they are going to design it like the Camaro I will likely become an import fan! At least their new cars have nice lines! I can not say how much I hate the new Camaro! It looks like the old Chevy Cavalier in a way!! The box shape and all.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02BLACKTAWS6
Bite your tongue! The 1977-78 Y-82 and Y-84s are gorgeous. The new designs are awful though.

EDIT: This would be worth buying. http://www.kevinmorgandesigns.com/concept.html Kevin Morgan's designs.
I'll modify my comment- Retro belongs in the past. I haven't seen one new TransAm concept that looks like the next generation of muscle/sports cars.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem with all of the retro designs I've seen is they're based on the 5th Gen Camaro - which is a retro-First Gen design. And then they use 2nd Gen styling cues on a First Gen style body. It doesn't work. Make it a retro-'69 T/A if you're basing it on the 5th Gen.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BZiggyZ
I'll modify my comment- Retro belongs in the past. I haven't seen one new TransAm concept that looks like the next generation of muscle/sports cars.
Fair enough.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Launching!

If ASC ever builds that car.....can you even begin to imagine what it would cost? It would be cheaper to buy an old TA!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

there wont be one, just maybe an aftermarket body kit making a "trans am" (the camaro looks MUCH better anyways imo). GM had the problem of having too many vehicles competing with one another so why would they bring it back? No one would say no to the camaro just because it doesnt have the pontiac badge or trans am name to it.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That ASC concept is terrible. The Kevin Morgan ones aren't too bad. I read that article too. Pretty much have read most of the articles for any future bird. ASC would take Camaro's and dealer's would have them shipped to ASC to have "aftermarket" parts slapped on as a "Firebird Packaged Camaro". Terrible. Would be cheaper to do the mods yourself. Lol.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

I actually like some of the concepts, particularly the 2nd gen bandit style ones. If they do this though it needs to be done in a way that it is a official pontiac firebird (would be silly if the vehicle's registration and title said chevrolet camaro). Since they are discontinuing pontiac now I don't know if there is still a way to do this.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

I have to agree with what TransamRida said. they should have made another firebird/ trans am with the camaro. that just seems the proper thing to do since the day the camaro was born there was a firebird looking better next to it . now of course i also agree with what many others have said about the styling of the concepts, they are just fugly except for that last one that was put up. gm shouldnt base a prototype off of the camaro styling but have one of its own since gm is always trying keep sales up, and have the styling come from the 4th gen which that last came pretty damn close. but gm wont make a new firebird/ trans am because they flat out said in a press conference which i read like a year ago or something was that they dont want another car that has the power and drive train just a different body. that and pontiac is no more however i am very proud to own one of the last gen of the Trans Am family and to be part of the last of the breed circle unlike the camaro's.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LILHOTROD96
Where did you see it???? I know that there is a local man here who has a RA V still in the crate. Those ARE big money engines and were never put into production.
saw it at the crown point indiana cruise night a couple weeks ago. i thnk the guy lived in illinois.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

Why are all the new Firebird/TA concepts clone-based off of the 2010 Camaro? Have there been any concepts that have either a lesser or non '10 camaro based design?

I think having one F-body descendent go retro is enough. After all, the Camaro and Firebird have always been mirrors of one another, so the retro direction of hte Camaro will conveniently separate them. A new generation of Firebirds should hold a more modern/independent look from the previous generations, although I think it's crucial that it bears a resemblence to the most recent (4th gen) design to perpetuate the gradual climb of design. At the same time, I also think it wouldn't be bad to have residual elements of the 2010 Camaro on the new Firebird to keep their historical connection to one another, but, like I said, just not carbon copy it.

Last edited by Crimsonnaire; 08-20-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

saw this pic

Quick Reply: 2011 trans am???