Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

got a 87 firebird today

Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a 87 firebird today

The story is, a friend of mine had it sitting and rotting away in a "jungle" for about 9 years, i finally asked if he was doing anything with it and he said take it. i got it, it’s an 87, 6 cylinder. had to clear away some of the jungle to get to it and in it.

it all went smooth for the most part, it rained for alittle while i was clearing the jungle, and towing it out was interesting on a busy street, a school bus came over the hill right when we got it on the street and the driver was just cracking up, the only thing one of the t tops got shattered in the process (left it on the ground and my friend ran it over) so i need to find another one, cheap, help anyone? but it needs alot more than a t top and i don't have money to spare on it currently, but i have it

the body itself is alittle more dinged up than i thought, two or three noticeable dents, three noticeable scratches, and the paint is coming off all together. the passenger light is messed up too two stories on what happened to it, 1 the engine seized, 2 the transmission went, i’ll find out soon enough. it has a new home now with an younger sibling.

any sites that have parts for this year car or even information on stuff i'll be needing and wondering about would be helpful.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Check this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...storation.html

I highly recommend the forums on thirdgen.org, for any SPECIFIC questions related to this car. Good luck, man!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the third gens, and I'm glad you got it for $0, but my advice is that you should consider this a parts car.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

beauty
Old 07-26-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jcws6
I highly recommend the forums on thirdgen.org, for any SPECIFIC questions related to this car. Good luck, man!
Thanks it's been helpful, No one seems to be interested or following this on this forum but quick update.

Cleaned it up today, passenger side fender & door panel damaged, missing one t top and passenger door jammed. Took a 3/4 socket to the engine to see it i could turn the engine by hand, i could with alot of force and stopped after 40 degrees or so because i didn't have a breaker bar. not sure how much force should be needed to do this but it turned. Yet to decide it i'm just going to part it or try to actually just get it to run again
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

njfboa.org has alot of people with 3rd gens. its best for local parts. things like t-tops are for sale about every month.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Teching In

As noted in earlier post, go to Thirdgen.org. Post what you have posted here and you will be flooded with info. Someone will proably give you a t top. They are into thirds like you will not believe. I went to that site all the time and had no problem working on my third. They will frown on parting out, it looks like a nice car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got a 87 firebird today