Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

My Labor Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Labor Day Weekend

During the course of avoiding a reckless driver this past Friday, I ended up eating guardrail instead of a 55 mph+ collision (possible drunk driver in a minivan came far into my lane and forced me off the road). This is what happened to my baby. I have had her since my senior year of high school and she has performed beautifully through college and grad school.

If she gets totaled, which is possible since my mileage puts her at a blue book of 7k, I guess the LS will go in my ’95 project. Either way ‘tis a sad day…

Also, though you cannot see it in the pic, the upper part of the radiator support has been torn abit.
Attached Thumbnails My Labor Day Weekend-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, sorry to hear that. To bad you weren't able to get the sob and beat the daylights out of him. I know i would be in the fetal position, sucking my thumb and crying if something happened to my TA. HAHA. Hope everything works out for ya though. I reckon it could always be worse.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesnt look TOO bad. Screw throwing the LS1 into your project...get a new headlight, fender and front clip and have it repainted. Oh did I mention this could be time to upgrade to a WS6 or Firehawk hood?

Never give up on these babies! They are a dying breed !
Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Fix that ****!!! Atleast buy it back if its totalled...did the airbags deploy?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dosent look too bad little paint, fender and headlight.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Fix that ****!!! Atleast buy it back if its totalled...did the airbags deploy?
I definitely will retain salvage. Once I get the estimate from the stealership, pontiac was luckily one of the approved shops, I'll post it.

And as for upgrading, provided this one doesn't get totalled, I will keep her numbers matching. The project is what will get all the cool stuff since that will be a weekend driver.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhin
I definitely will retain salvage. Once I get the estimate from the stealership, pontiac was luckily one of the approved shops, I'll post it.

And as for upgrading, provided this one doesn't get totalled, I will keep her numbers matching. The project is what will get all the cool stuff since that will be a weekend driver.
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Thats great, you plan to hold onto the car. With the new body panels installed, I'd say this is a perfect opportuninty give it a polish/wax job as well. Looks a little faded in the picture. Shine that girl up. I know it's tough to keep the daily driver looking nice, but thats too cool a car to let it get shitty looking.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

Finally have the car settled... After arguing with an incompetent adjuster and a shady shop for four months, the car has been totalled. After 6 grand in repairs, the shop could not get the front end to line up correctly, and they had ignored several major electrical issues. Looks like my 1995 TA Hard top will get an LS1 after all.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Teching In

How is this car totaled when the airbags didn't deploy? The wreck i had in my old 97 TA caused about the same amount of damage your car and the insurance company fixed just fine.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

It was totalled because after 6200, the front end was still out of alignment and further frame adjustments needed to be made; the shop had neglected to replace the radiator support, which needed to be replaced; the shop neglected to fix the electrical issues; the shop put rusted parts on the vehicle; and the insurance co did not want to mess with having a competent shop fix the vehicle. That would have meant they would have had to pay another 8-9k, because half the parts reinstalled were damaged or sheeted in rust.

This makes me think that either I had just missed the airbag sensor, or they don't work at all...

If you are in Reno, Nv, avoid Winkel GMC Hummer at all costs.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was totalled because after 6200, the front end was still out of alignment and further frame adjustments needed to be made; the shop had neglected to replace the radiator support, which needed to be replaced; the shop neglected to fix the electrical issues; the shop put rusted parts on the vehicle; and the insurance co did not want to mess with having a competent shop fix the vehicle. That would have meant they would have had to pay another 8-9k, because half the parts reinstalled were damaged or sheeted in rust.

This makes me think that either I had just missed the airbag sensor, or they don't work at all...

My old SS, air bags didn't deploy either:

Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

What a bunch of bullshit! How is it your fault (or your car's fault) this shop performs unprofessional work and uses substandard replacement parts?

If the shop didn't do what they were paid by your insurance company to do, the insurance company should go after them for the amount of money they've spent. This shouldn't affect what happens to your car.

You should simply be able to take the car to a quality shop to have the repairs done properly.

The insurance company gets their money back from the first shop and then uses that money to pay the new shop.

I can't believe you're out your car because of some ******* who doesn't know how to perform a quality repair. This kinda **** really pisses me off.

Originally Posted by streetassasin
My old SS, air bags didn't deploy either:
OUCH! That looks horrible, man. Was everyone okay?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles

OUCH! That looks horrible, man. Was everyone okay?
I was the only one in the car and hit a goose neck trailer, my back was sore for a few weeks and had a headache for around 5 days but I'm good.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know how u feel...this is my TA that i crashed june 2009 cause this old guy cut me off
Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetassasin
I was the only one in the car and hit a goose neck trailer, my back was sore for a few weeks and had a headache for around 5 days but I'm good.
Thats good hear. Obviously you've found a very nice replacement ride, as well.

Originally Posted by mannyman84
i know how u feel...this is my TA that i crashed june 2009 cause this old guy cut me off
Wow! I think I'd have killed the SOB. Terrible, man. Just terrible.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Thats good hear. Obviously you've found a very nice replacement ride, as well.

Wow! I think I'd have killed the SOB. Terrible, man. Just terrible.
I actually wanted to. But cops got there before I got out the car. They police department was around the corner, the good thng is he admited to guilt so I got my car paid and kept it. Engine is still good including the t56 and the rest.