Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver?

I found a 2000 model TA today, it's the pewter color, manual, T-tops, 95,000 miles. Now that in itself would be fine, here's the kicker:

It's a 408 car, and what I know of it is, Ram (?) clutch, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, cam (not sure on numbers) and dumps right before the rear end. I wish I knew more about the car, but it wasn't there for me to look at. I do know he has said 432HP to the wheels. And the clutch has a 'minor' (not sure, haven't driven) slip in 3rd and 4th gears.

I would be using as a daily driver, the plus side being, work is literally half a mile from my place on base. So I'd never have to get out of second gear to work, and if something happens, I've been walking to work for the past 2 months, it won't kill me this time. But I'm scared if I want to take it to SF or Sacramento, it wouldn't like it too much, and the clutch scares me. Anyways, I'm really wanting a platform now, to build on later, and buy a cheap *** DD in a month or so. He said he drove it 20 mins to and from work everyday for a while.

Think it's a good idea for a DD car for a bit? And what kind of clutch, and what kind of price, should I be looking at? He wants $7500 for the car, but he may come down.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my advice is always look for a stock car and build from there when looking for a daily. Unless you know the person who built the car up and what there knowledge and skills are you may be getting a basket case or a very problamatic car.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Could I drive my car daily? Yes...Would I want to? No.

Since your commute is so short it probaly would be fine for you otherwise I would say look for a more stock car. Without knowing what heads or cam is in that 408 it could either be a nice tame cruiser or a real PITA more weekend only/race type car. Like stated above unless you know who built the car and everything about it for all you know it could be unreliable especially on long trips.

I would IMO get a stock or bolt-on car and build it yourself but that's just me. Again with your short commute you could put up with alot more than most people with long commutes so it might be fine.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the sound of it, I personally would not take that car on as a DD without a fairly thorough vetting by someone I trust who has tranny expertise (which I have not had a chance to do). General info on a T56 rebuild can be found at
GM High Tech Performance. A fully rebuilt T56 seems to run about $1k on average on Ebay, pricing up towards $2k. There was a thread a week ago for a tranny that seems to have sold for $1.5k. Engine & Tranny

If you really need a DD, why not get a cheapo truck in good condition, and then consider taking on this one as a project car?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default just my $0.02

EVERY used car will have its own unique set of 'minor' problems - that is a given.

Q - Do you want the car? Do you want it even if you begin by changing the clutch?

OK, speaking as a guy who mods his DD fairly often (As my friend said: "Mike, you don't make car payments, you make upgrades!"), if you want the car, even with all its flaws (known and unknown), then just DO IT!

You might be sorry every once in a while, but gettin' sideways on the 1-2 shift (at will) is worth it every time!

Originally Posted by ALPINEX
I found a 2000 model TA today, it's the pewter color, manual, T-tops, 95,000 miles. Now that in itself would be fine, here's the kicker:

It's a 408 car, and what I know of it is, Ram (?) clutch, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, cam (not sure on numbers) and dumps right before the rear end. I wish I knew more about the car, but it wasn't there for me to look at. I do know he has said 432HP to the wheels. And the clutch has a 'minor' (not sure, haven't driven) slip in 3rd and 4th gears.

I would be using as a daily driver, the plus side being, work is literally half a mile from my place on base. So I'd never have to get out of second gear to work, and if something happens, I've been walking to work for the past 2 months, it won't kill me this time. But I'm scared if I want to take it to SF or Sacramento, it wouldn't like it too much, and the clutch scares me. Anyways, I'm really wanting a platform now, to build on later, and buy a cheap *** DD in a month or so. He said he drove it 20 mins to and from work everyday for a while.

Think it's a good idea for a DD car for a bit? And what kind of clutch, and what kind of price, should I be looking at? He wants $7500 for the car, but he may come down.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver?