Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Lingenfelter's take on a fifth-gen Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than the puketastic wheels, this thing is sexy. MUCH more badass than the other conversion designed by Kevin Morgan.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the wheels & it will be pretty darn nice. If I had unlimited funds & more room in the garage I might consider it..haha
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Fellas, the wheels are patterned after early second-gen Firebird wheels. Here is an example of them that I found on Yahoo...

Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because it is retro doesn't make it a good thing. I stand by my statement.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

Those wheels are probably why there are not many 70's Firebirds floating around...YUCK!
Old 10-23-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

The honey comb is a signature design feature of almost every Pontiac and was made famous buy the 70-73 wheels. Where do you think your honey comb tail lights came from?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:40 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by 69camaross
The honey comb is a signature design feature of almost every Pontiac and was made famous buy the 70-73 wheels. Where do you think your honey comb tail lights came from?
Not everyone shares are feelings on the wheels....I think they look great.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd enjoy seeing on the streets with a SD-455. Even if an iron block LSx no matter what the wheels are.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69camaross
Truthfully, it is not that I don't like the design. I just don't want to clean them...pain in the @ss! My honeycomb lights are easy as h3ll to clean! hahhaah
Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not feeling it at all. The early second gen front on a 2010 looks silly. If you're gonna build a TA you need to take some of Pontiac's latest styling cues, mainly the front grille & work from there mixing around ideas from past TA's. Why does everyone feel the need to do a shaker look? The Ram Air of the WS6's probably made the TA more than any other gen & gave it the aggressive look that set it apart from the rest. ASC did the best job overall with their sketches other than the hideous early second gen front end. I know the point is retro, but the only thing that Chevy took from the first gen Camaro was the basic body design & grille design. They didn't literally steal the front end from the first gen like these companies do with the TA.

If anything they should use that early second gen grille design as a starting point for the retro look but use the current Pontiac grille design like they used on the G8 & use a different more current headlight design & a Ram Air hood that run's from the cowl all of the way to the front of the hood with openings that match up to the upper grille width.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

i seen some sweet gold rims on a T/A in a mag at the zone that looked like enlarged wheels of the bandit T/A
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by StreetGliderX
i seen some sweet gold rims on a T/A in a mag at the zone that looked like enlarged wheels of the bandit T/A
Year One wheels
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

I spoke to Nathan from lingenfelter at the lsx shootout and he showed me what the final version looked like (picture), i think it looks great, i dont really like the honeycomb wheels either. My dad had a 70 T/A but it had the "rally wheels" which look more like torque thrusts and would look even better on that car IMO. The engine is great too, i just wish i could afford it, lol.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The new Mustang looks like the original. The new Challenger looks like the original. Both cars are more refined. The new Camaro looks nothing like the original. Too many straight lines, not enough swoopy curves. The tail is flat out ugly. The doors are too tall. The dash & gauge layout sucks. If anything, the nose is OK at best.

While I do like the early second gen Firebird nose, it looks silly on the new Camaro. I’m not digging the little shaker top as it won’t be functional. Like fake scoops on a hood, why bother?

As far as I’m concerned, the 98-02 Firebird was the best looking one. Sexy, curvy, it looked like a Corvette. Sure, it had some mechanical drawbacks, not enough power, transmissions and rears that blew up when you added power, etc.

The new Camaro will suffer from some of these issues also. The transmission has already shown to be the weak link, the rear will also start having problems when the power is upped. Such are the pitfalls when we soup up cars.

I’d prefer a later forth-gen over the new Camaro or the Lingenfelter Camaro LTA.

I mean no ill will toward the good folks at Lingenfelter. I ordered the heads and intake for my Monte Carlo directly from John himself like in 1986.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The new Mustang looks like the original. The new Challenger looks like the original. Both cars are more refined. The new Camaro looks nothing like the original. Too many straight lines, not enough swoopy curves. The tail is flat out ugly. The doors are too tall. The dash & gauge layout sucks. If anything, the nose is OK at best.
agreed. it seems like there is no choice when they do this but to go back to the old original ones, but why not evolve from the latest- with the fourth gens, why do every single one of this "remakes" or brought back from the dead muscle cars, such as the chargers, gtos, camaros, challengers, mustangs, etc - all have to come from the old versions? don't get me wrong, damn beautiful originals. but its like youre going back to the beginning instead of evolving.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

All I want is a 4th gen T/A, brand spanking new with an LS-7, 12 bolt rear end and a bulletproof tranny......that is allot less modification than making a whole new model. But if it could be built under $40k from the dealer, I'd buy one. If not that is the route Im going when my motor dies.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

it looks good. but to me it seems like it just doesnt flow right. The front and rear end looks rounded with curves which looks awesome but then the top of it is sharp. The sharpness of the top looks good with the camaros because the front and rear end has a sharp and aggressive look to them.... if that makes any sense. lol
Old 10-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Lingenfelter T/A

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...ept-auto_shows
Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Not bad, but it could use some different wheels...snowflakes maybe
Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok, a finished product. I have to say, it looks better than the clay model they were showing a couple weeks ago. I like the rear end, with the exception of the lights, looks a little plain. The front looks better than I originally thought. The engine specs are awesome. I still hate the rims with a passion. Would I buy it? If I could afford it.......

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter's take on a fifth-gen Trans Am