Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Sad Day: Last Pontiac Rolls Off American Assembly Lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i blame import buyers for the entire state of the big 3, not just pontiac. and of course, only in america will other "americans" look down on you for loving your country, and wanting to BUY AMERICAN to help support the american economy. every other country in the world is different. you think people in germany are made fun of for having german pride, and buying beamers and benzs? englishmen for buying jags? only here will some douchebag jerkoff call you names for taking pride in your own country.

Well said! +2

If your not driving and buying american You are the problem!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

This Sucks ***!! But it was bound to happen, like others have said, more and more people are buying Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc... Hell, here in Denver, I see more foreign vehicles on the roads then American EVERYDAY!

At least possibly, the value of our Pontiacs might go up throughout the years!

-Justin
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by billyb
thank all those foregin car buying americans !!!!!!!!!!!
I'm one- I just bought an Australian car with the motor being built in Mexico. The only piece that is truly American is the trans.

Are you all naive to think that all your parts in your so called 'American made car' are produced here in the good ole USA?

The problem is not with American's buying non American stuff, its the American companies wanting more profit so they outsource parts, materials, jobs to the cheapest bidder. In the long run they hurt themselves and our country.

Look at Walmart- every one wants cheap and to be able to get 24/7. Half if not more of the stuff in there stores is made in China. When you shop there do you think your money you spend stays in the community- heck no off to Bentonville, AR it goes , hurting your local economy and small business man.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by M23G8GT
Are you all naive to think that all your parts in your so called 'American made car' are produced here in the good ole USA?

i was waiting for someone to say this. no matter where the car might be made, its an AMERICAN company. i dont give a **** if toyota or honduh or stupidru has plants in the US. if you buy one of those cars, the money does not go to the guy on the assembly line. he gets paid whether you buy the car or not. the money goes directly to japan, to the owners of the company. THAT is why the big 3 are hurting. not union wages, not quality, not outsourcing. if more people bought the cars, the big 3 could afford anything they wanted or needed.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

i was waiting for someone to say this. no matter where the car might be made, its an AMERICAN company. i dont give a **** if toyota or honduh or stupidru has plants in the US. if you buy one of those cars, the money does not go to the guy on the assembly line. he gets paid whether you buy the car or not. the money goes directly to japan, to the owners of the company. THAT is why the big 3 are hurting. not union wages, not quality, not outsourcing. if more people bought the cars, the big 3 could afford anything they wanted or needed.
You sir are correct !!!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by M23G8GT

Look at Walmart- every one wants cheap and to be able to get 24/7. Half if not more of the stuff in there stores is made in China. When you shop there do you think your money you spend stays in the community- heck no off to Bentonville, AR it goes , hurting your local economy and small business man.

You do know bentonville AR is a American city right? its ok if your money goes there. Also walmart isnt hurting the economy they provide goods at a cheap price if you dont want to shop there dont . Its up to the local business man to compete with walmart and dont say he cant because plenty do i deal with them everyday . If you buy a import car theres no win for anyone or any company here in the states . comparing some one buying a 10 trash can to a 40,000 dollar car seems to bigger economic impact to the economy if everyone would buy american cars first ! then a local mom and pop trash can for 10 dollars .
Old 12-09-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

x3!! Thats all I'm gonna say!

-Justin
Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, most of us know by now that our cars aren't 100% American-made. They're even thoughtful enough (thanks to the government) to put the percentages and locations of the content of each vehicle sold in the United States. It's where the money ends up that's the problem. I'm not saying the original Big 3 aren't to blame....they're shipping our jobs across the Rio Grande every chance they get.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Eh its a combination if mismanagement and just trends i guess. You really have to take a look at the product line around the early 80's...Things were really going down hill. A lot of lack luster products built in the name of saving money on materials. Too many over lapping brands/cars. No individuality within the brands...
Old 12-11-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 537 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacSpeed
Eh its a combination if mismanagement and just trends i guess. You really have to take a look at the product line around the early 80's...Things were really going down hill. A lot of lack luster products built in the name of saving money on materials. Too many over lapping brands/cars. No individuality within the brands...
Oh man! Did you ever hit the nail on the head. I actually knew 3 people that bought NEW '82 Trans Ams when they came out. They were so excited until all 3 cars spent most of the first year in the shop as the mechanics tried to figure out that powerful 165 hp Crossfire engine. LOL!! They would not run at all. What garbage!!! If I remember right all 3 never bought Pontiacs again. Fortunately I always subscribed to the "don't buy 1st year models" philosophy and didn't get burned.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Oh man! Did you ever hit the nail on the head. I actually knew 3 people that bought NEW '82 Trans Ams when they came out. They were so excited until all 3 cars spent most of the first year in the shop as the mechanics tried to figure out that powerful 165 hp Crossfire engine. LOL!! They would not run at all. What garbage!!! If I remember right all 3 never bought Pontiacs again. Fortunately I always subscribed to the "don't buy 1st year models" philosophy and didn't get burned.
I remember some owners got shafted in the sense that 1982 T/a's came with a 4 speed manual and then the next year they released the 5 speed. Its not only quality, it was the products themselves. I mean they had some pretty sad motors out at the time. I am NOT talking about the Iron Duke because it did get good gas mile age. What i am talking about are the V6's. The 2.8 was probably the worst built motor i have ever seen, not only in terms of power and fuel efficiency but over all! I think the H.O. edition had what, 116 HP? The 3.1 was in every single car practically and it itself was not great.

Sure the 3.8 was a good motor, but over all its never really been able to keep up with the competition in terms of performance without a Turbo/Supercharger hooked up to it. The V8 has never really been an issue other then when used for anything other than performance applications...I am just saying, man GM really fell asleep behind the wheel in the 80's and for a good portion on the 90's! Aztek?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

my beretta had the 2.8 V6, MPFI. for that car, it was a great motor. never had a single problem with it. i knew a girl who had an 88 beretta, same motor, with 250K on it. of course it was way underpowered for a 3400lb f-body, but for smaller front drive cars, it did the job and was quite peppy.

other then not having OD, the 4spd T-10 was a better trans then the new T5. solid, old-school, mechanical linkage. you could dump the clutch all day and never worry about it blowing. do that with a T5, even the later WC T5s with any size/power V8, and you know what happens.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by PontiacSpeed
The 2.8 was probably the worst built motor i have ever seen, not only in terms of power and fuel efficiency but over all!
The 2.8L V6 in my '88 Camaro was still running just fine at 201,000+ miles when I traded it for the '00 'bird. Now the 700-R4 was not so helpful....it was on it's way out for the second time when I traded the car.

I agree on the '80's similarity really screwing the Big 3. The Chevy Celebrity, Olds Cutlass Ciera, Buick Century & Pontiac 2000 didn't just share platforms....heck, they were too close styling-wise too. I think Motor Trend had a magazine cover with all four parked side-by-side back then......all the same color, same vinyl roof treatment, etc.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
'Bird Director

Now I bet our Canadian friends will be knocking each other out of the way to get there hands on the last Pontiac built for them next year........

When I look back at Pontiac, I don't think of Bonneville, GTO, Firebird, Grand Prix.......Oh no.....I think G3
Old 12-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Sorry folks, i wish my 2.8 was better, i had a carb 2.8 Camaro 1983 Camaro, no matter what me and my father fixed or replaced, something else would just go wrong =/
Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

I had a 2.8 in a Cavalier Z24, it was FI and fast and a ricer killer. Anyway I always loved the Poncho, My GP GXP has met and exceeded all performance requirements for me, and its stock, no tweeks . The 85 T/A still has low miles, 67k and is a keeper. My son has the last run of the Sunbird in a nice red Sport package, and my 02 GP GT still runs strong.

PMD will be missed!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Maybe GM didn't celebrate the last Pontiac......because they hope to bring it back if the GM ever recovers?

A lot of reasons identified for GM's status and the American Auto industry............and just about all mfg in America.

That's what happens when COE creed sets policy....ie $500b trade deficit
with a communist country.........and unemployement >10%.

And 10 yrs after the slide began.....we're finally having TALKS about a Jobs Summit......go figure.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

RIP Pontiac
Old 12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WipFbody
Maybe GM didn't celebrate the last Pontiac......because they hope to bring it back if the GM ever recovers?
I agree with this also. GM had offers on Pontiac. I'm sure most company's looking to get rid of a product all together, will take the best offer. I think they will bring Pontiac back when the economy turns.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Teching In

sad to see it go....

Quick Reply: Sad Day: Last Pontiac Rolls Off American Assembly Lines