Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to sell hoods for trufiber and one thing i noticed about my oem hood vs aftermarkets was the weight, my oem hood was by no means heavy, but the aftermarkts are considerably lighter
Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brynnda
i used to sell hoods for trufiber and one thing i noticed about my oem hood vs aftermarkets was the weight, my oem hood was by no means heavy, but the aftermarkts are considerably lighter
they must be super light then because my oem hood seemed pretty light.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
they must be super light then because my oem hood seemed pretty light.

the ones i sold i could pick up and toss, theyre were just big and awkward
Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brynnda
the ones i sold i could pick up and toss, theyre were just big and awkward
i think my oem weighed ~ 35lbs? i didn't actually weigh it but it wasn't paper light.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i don't knw about specific markings for the hood, but you can usually look in the door jamb and see if it has specs for 275/40/17 tires to see if its a real ws6 or not.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll have to get some pics of this hood i just bought.
-it looks like its never been painted -ever
-the bottom front lip of the hood is even and not 'fat'
-the vent screens are missing, but the openings look like the OE one posted above with the tabs
-it has the 'outward' crease line that runs the middle
-the openings look pretty square
-though, it doesn't have the thumb sized holes underneath
-the other thing is that there are some numbers and letters engraved on the bottom -right where the hood prop bracket will bolt up. didn't look like any GM part#, and didn't trigger any reminders of aftermkt logos.
-the guy i bought it from said the corners were damaged when he got it, so he repaired (there about 90% repaired at this point), and said he trial fitted to his car, but never got around to painting it.

hopefully, i can learn some final repair/prep work that will be decent enough to send to the paint shop, and them not laugh at me
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fish-man
i'll have to get some pics of this hood i just bought.
-it looks like its never been painted -ever
-the bottom front lip of the hood is even and not 'fat'
-the vent screens are missing, but the openings look like the OE one posted above with the tabs
-it has the 'outward' crease line that runs the middle
-the openings look pretty square
-though, it doesn't have the thumb sized holes underneath
-the other thing is that there are some numbers and letters engraved on the bottom -right where the hood prop bracket will bolt up. didn't look like any GM part#, and didn't trigger any reminders of aftermkt logos.
-the guy i bought it from said the corners were damaged when he got it, so he repaired (there about 90% repaired at this point), and said he trial fitted to his car, but never got around to painting it.

hopefully, i can learn some final repair/prep work that will be decent enough to send to the paint shop, and them not laugh at me
you didn't get it from somewhere near detroit, mi from a guy named Aaron Woryn did you? Thats the guy i bought my hood from who had been selling them since the late 90s. as for the holes i'm not 100% sure all the oem ones had them but from the pics i found, it appears they did. you can see the holes i'm referring to in this pic.

you know, maybe not all the oem ones had them and they were drilled in mine because it's a prototype?

this is the only decent pic i have of any of the holes but you can see them in the pic. excuse all the white dots as this was taken within hours of getting the car back from painting and i hadn't cleaned off all of the polish they used after paint.

this car was parked next to me at the nats and won first place in my class (i took second) and he had a low mile (like <40k) 96 or 97 WS6 which i'm pretty sure had never been repainted or anything and it doesn't look like his has them.

oh and here's a full shot of the underside of my hood i found. sorry it's a bit further away but it's the only one i have of the whole underside

Old 01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

mines got the same rounded slots on the latch area, but no thumb size holes.
i can carry the thing easy enough, but probably weighs around 30lb.
i just noticed there is a spot about 6inches wide where the under side support is coming apart from the upper hood panel. i'll have to find out what to use to re-attach.
the thing isn't perfect at all, but I got it fairly cheap. still got to get pics from the camera.

I bought it from a young (23 or so)man near Battle Creek, name wasn't Aaron though. i think that he was still probably riding bikes in the 90's ;-)

Last edited by Fish-man; 01-16-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
i don't knw about specific markings for the hood, but you can usually look in the door jamb and see if it has specs for 275/40/17 tires to see if its a real ws6 or not.

uhhh OR you could just look for the WS6 rpo code..
Old 01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Junkie

mines got the same rounded slots on the latch area, but no thumb size holes.
i can carry the thing easy enough, but probably weighs around 30lb.
i just noticed there is a spot about 6inches wide where the under side support is coming apart from the upper hood panel. i'll have to find out what to use to re-attach.
the thing isn't perfect at all, but I got it fairly cheap. still got to get pics from the camera.

I bought it from a young (23 or so)man near Battle Creek, name wasn't Aaron though. i think that he was still probably riding bikes in the 90's ;-)
hmm. was it unpainted? maybe it was one of the ones he sold and the guy never did anything with it? the guy i'm talking about was definately older like probably mid 30s or so. that pic i posted on page 1 of the unpainted hood isactually one that was in the ebay auction for it.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

is it normal for the gel surface to be grey?

here it is:
Attached Thumbnails ??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97-chad-request-1-17-10-038.jpg   ??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97-chad-request-1-17-10-039.jpg   ??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97-chad-request-1-17-10-040.jpg   ??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97-chad-request-1-17-10-042.jpg   ??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97-chad-request-1-17-10-045.jpg  

??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97-chad-request-1-17-10-041.jpg  

Last edited by Fish-man; 01-17-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

is it normal for the gel surface to be grey?

here it is:
not sure. mine was more of an unpainted off white color. i can't tell by the pics but dues that lip on the hood get really thick in the middle section or is it even all the way across?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
not sure. mine was more of an unpainted off white color. i can't tell by the pics but dues that lip on the hood get really thick in the middle section or is it even all the way across?
check the other pic i just added
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

hmm looks like it could be legit or a really good copy.

by the way, you can get the grills for $50 shipped at hawks
Old 11-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Sorry to resurrect this old thread - but I'm trying to find the manufacturer of this WS6 hood. I know it's not GM - but it is very close to my real WS6 hood.

Quick Reply: ??how to ID a true factory ws6 hood 96-97