Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LS1 or better 2 go in my 1977 FIREBIRD

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool LS1 or better 2 go in my 1977 FIREBIRD

Hi folks

New to this form just trying to do a little homework cause I work hard for my money and the less wasted the more stuff i can buy

Wanting to put LS 1 0r peferably higher in my 1977 TA with T56 trans. Want to do somthing diff than the original 400 4 speed,

Anyhow doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info for the second gen swap. Lots on the first and third but the lonley old second is like the Bridesmaid at your cousins wedding..

Got it narrowed down to I need the f body oil pan..Kinda intrigued in the CTS-V caddy motor cause its apperently a LS6 and the pan will fit. People say to use the F Body 98 02 T56... Can I use the 02 or better GTO T56?????

Would like to keep the fuel injection but then its a grand for wiring bla bla bla. Some guy trying to sell me bitchin LS3 carbuerated...Kinda interested cause easy wiring etc.

Drive by wire YES NO ????? kinda cool or do you need a Degree in Rocket Scientry to make it work on old school

Any help or guidance on my homework assignment is mucho appreciated..

My email if anybody wants to brief me privatlly brianhicking@hotmail.com

Hell Ill even phone you on my nickel... phones remember them

Cheers

Brian in Canada

PS Fairly mechanically inclined.. A bit old school can still set points. Looking forward to the new hi teck chrome pully serpintine belt LS 6 :Fire chicken.. Show the kid the old man can still do it.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I think it is a waste of a good car. I am to old school for that. I would take that 400 and stick a 455 crank and pistons in it with a 6 speed behind it. There are to many 1st & 2nd gens running around with LS engines in them. You hardly ever see one with the "correct" engine in it.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I had a 76 Trans Am and I wanted to put a 455 in it. Never had the chance. There is soo much you can do without going the LS1 route. I vote for the built 455. Beside, you'd have to mount the shaker to the hood...
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make engine and transmission mount kits for LS series / T56 swaps into your car. If your going to switch to a carb, you will still need a computer to run the coils though it would be smaller.

Quick Reply: LS1 or better 2 go in my 1977 FIREBIRD